Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Duchesses

Anybody remembers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Anyone remembering Joyce »Baby Jean« Kennedy? Her first appearance with her band, Mother' Finest, over here in Europe was at a German TV show at 3/3/1978, that made the band gather a huge following since then. This show was so funk'afuckin' awesome!

Mother's Finest - Rockpalast - 1978 - Part 1 - YouTube

Merry Xmas and have phun!

I remember very well! Unforgettable for us TV watchers in Switzerland. Phun???
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Cold Blood, Lydia, 1974, WB US, BS 2806

Lydia Pense and Cold Blood with the funky Memphis Horns. Great voice. Guitars and production by Steve Cropper. Underrated. After all these years, we have to concede: a great voice. Still on the road and going strong!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Merry Clayton, Gimme Shelter, 1970, AM England, AMLS 995

Great voice. Unforgettable: The Rolling Stones' "Gimme shelter". Listen to Merry Clayton's version here A4. Guitars Louie Shelton. Mick Jagger tells about it here:https://www.openculture.com/2013/06/...e_shelter.html

Maggie Bell, As Suicide Sal, 1975, Polydor England, SUPER 2383 313

Stone The Crows' high energy voice: Maggie Bell. A great album, rich in variety. Recorded in Ringo Starr's Startling Studio at Tittenhurst Park in Ascot with her tour band.
    Pete Wingfield, keyboards. Jimmy Page guitar solos on two tracks.
    Listen to B3, the best version of Lennon/McCartney's "I saw him (her) standing there" you've ever heard.

Inga Rumpf, Universe Of Dreams 2LP, 2021, Edel Germany, 169 871

Great. Simply great!

Agreed. Inga Rumpf always has been one of the most prominent female voices in the German rock and blues history.

Best regards!

Fanny, Mothers Pride, 1973, Reprise Germany, REP 44 233

Produced, engineered and mixed by Todd Rundgren at Secret Sound Studios. "The Wizard" had tickled out so much positive energy and creativity of these female musicians. The duchesses are Jean and June Millington, Alice de Buhr and Nickey Barclay.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cunIt_iyQM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsMR-nurB0

Savage Rose, Refugee, 1971, Gregar US, GG 104

Anisette: expressive vocals. Danish psychedelic rock.
    The range of Anisette's voice, both in terms of octaves and emotions, is incredible in every way, and the band's assimilation of seemingly all the major developments of R&B for the past ten years, combined with the classical elements, is astonishing...(cit. Ed Ward, Rolling Stone, March 1971)
    Plus: fat Hammond/Leslie sounds. This one was produced by Jimmy Miller & Joe Zagarini at Stargroves, London
    Wild child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAkWUNCGs4

Millie Jackson, Live & Uncensored, 1985, Towerbell France, 406508, 2LP

In these times today not political correct (anymore): we love to listen to the "**** U Symphony" A7.
    Very ****-ing fun...and a great performance by a fearless soul duchess. Accompanied by The Easy-Ak-Shun Band, The East Coast Horns and The Muscle Shoals Horns. What a ****ing funky barn burner!
    PS.: in Switzerland we don't use those four stars for those four-letter-words. In fact, we don't have any..., do we?

Enestine Anderson, Never Make Your Move Too Soon, 1980, Concord USA, CJ 147

That rich, warm, sultry, infinitely sensitive voice is the embodiment of Ernestine Anderson.
    Monty Alexander p, Ray Brown b, Frank Gant dr.
    The pace-changes in the album rollercoaster through never-a-dull-moment modes (cit. Edith Hamilton, liner notes on back cover sleeve). Agreed.
    At Jazzwoche Burghausen, Germany 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOBpeJJORk

One of my favorites. The legendary Christine Perfect. Before Fleetwood Mac. Hard to find, but well worth searching for.

Name:  Christine.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  107.9 KB

Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    One of my favorites. The legendary Christine Perfect. Before Fleetwood Mac. Hard to find, but well worth searching for.

Name:  Christine.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  107.9 KB
    Bravo! From Switzerland: Fritz

Does anybody remember Fanny? They were one of the very first American all-female rock bands, active in the first half of the 1970ies. Until very recently, I've never been aware of them, not even in my youth when I thought I know everything and everybody in rock music . I first heard of them just a few days ago, and, say, I'm enthusiastic about them! These four ladies were June Millington on guitar, her sister Jean on bass guitar, Alice de Buhr on drums and Nickey Barclay on keyboards. Real duchesses, I'd say!

Here are two out of a couple of videos, brilliantly shot, as ever, by the team of German TV station Radio Bremen for a Beat-Club broadcast in 1971. Please note the competent guitar and bass works, the powerful drumming and the solid performance at the Hammond TTR-100 organ:

The other one is a beatle-esque anthem on German manufacturer Hermann Lanz AG, nowadays a subsidiary of John Deere. Note the terrific four piece vocal harmonies:

Sadly, I don't own any Fanny record or CD.

Best regards and have fun!

Fanny, Mothers Pride, 1973, Reprise Germany, REP 44 233

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    The other one is a beatle-esque anthem on German manufacturer Hermann Lanz AG, nowadays a subsidiary of John Deere. Note the terrific four piece vocal harmonies:

Sadly, I don't own any Fanny record or CD.

Best regards and have fun!
    I have shown "Fanny" in February 2022 here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post440190
    It's fun, indeed!

Thread Information