Thread: Newbie question from an oldie: 2242HPL Box design

Newbie question from an oldie: 2242HPL Box design

I have looked into this issue before, and even asked a couple of questions about the 2242HPL driver previously on this forum. However, as the time for creating a subwoofer is imminent, I need to ask the following (and acquire the requisite knowledge), so I thank you in advance!

• The recommended enclosure volume for a box housing a 2242HPL is stated at between 5 - 12 cubic feet. I own four 2242HPL drivers, and I would like to put four drivers into two cabinets in a moderately sized (but not at all huge) sized room.
    • Specifically what would happen if I put two drivers inside each cabinet with an internal volume of 12 cubic feet, rather than a significantly larger box? Even that is pushing it in terms of size and WAF. I am not worried about several Hz at the very bottom end being lost or a slight loss of sensitivity.
    • Would it be preferable to divide the box into four individual 6 cubic foot boxes or keep them as two 12 foot boxes?
    • I have heard drivers that were placed in much smaller enclosures than what the manufacturers recommended, and have been very impressed with tight, quick, hard hitting bass. However, when I have heard these set ups (often in boxes that were 60% SMALLER than recommended) they were acoustic suspension enclosures, not ported.
    • I am COMPLETELY UNFAMILIAR with modeling software for speaker design and know precious little of the subject. What can you folks recommend?
    • I have Crown XTI amps with rather extensive internal DSP and great flexibility regarding XOVER point, slopes, types, and EQ.
    • Your help is VERY MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

Maybe look at JBL’s offering for home theater subs using that driver:

http://as-galerie.com/wp-content/upl...Spec-sheet.pdf

Four of those will rattle your pant legs.

Another take on 2242 subs:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...s-for-Big-Bass

Widget

Vrrr nice, Mr. Widget. Ask and ye shall receive.

If used in HT I would rather use one in 12ft box than two. The big Difference between Large and small box is in the lower freq. 6 is too small and Even 8 is in My oppion not more than needed.

the 4645 cinema boxes and s1ex is 8ft tuned to 25hz, in HT you often want to Go a bit lower than that. I had 4 of these tuned to 18hz, but really wanted a bigger box.

if used only for music 6ft tuned to 30-35 might work but you will have almost no output below tuning

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Maybe look at JBL’s offering for home theater subs using that driver:

http://as-galerie.com/wp-content/upl...Spec-sheet.pdf

Four of those will rattle your pant legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Vrrr nice, Mr. Widget. Ask and ye shall receive.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    If used in HT I would rather use one in 12ft box than two. The big Difference between Large and small box is in the lower freq. 6 is too small and Even 8 is in My oppion not more than needed.

the 4645 cinema boxes and s1ex is 8ft tuned to 25hz, in HT you often want to Go a bit lower than that. I had 4 of these tuned to 18hz, but really wanted a bigger box.

if used only for music 6ft tuned to 30-35 might work but you will have almost no output below tuning
    Thank you all very much thus far for your responses! Please note the following:

I have looked into JBLs pre made units, but as I stated, I already have four 2242HPL drivers, so I don't want to purchase additional drivers.

I have limited space. The external size of these boxes cannot exceed 50"H x 30"W x 20"D

Also, this is really not for home theater but 90% for music listening. I just want a muscular set up, generally played at low volumes as to be entirely unstressed, but should the urge arise, it should be capable of prodigious output.

I don’t know if I missed it as I haven’t opened all the links but have you considered the 5749 enclosures?

Those sound pretty darn good with music and are tuned to 25Hz and they are very close to your measurment requirements at 24” X 30” X 48”

If you couldn’t find them used and empty for nearly free you could duplicate them easily.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I don’t know if I missed it as I haven’t opened all the links but have you considered the 5749 enclosures?

Those sound pretty darn good with music and are tuned to 25Hz and they are very close to your measurment requirements at 24” X 30” X 48”

If you couldn’t find them used and empty for nearly free you could duplicate them easily.

Barry.
    The 5749 enclosure is the 4642A enclosure is an 18 ft2 enclosure. It also works with B-6 alignment (set the filter to 22Hz).

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    The 5749 enclosure is the 4642A enclosure...
    With two MAJOR differences. The teminal plates on the 5749 are oriented for vertical deployment as are the JBL logos.

I noted the 5749 to avoid any confusion because they came loaded with 2242’s.

Barry.

With two MAJOR differences. The terminal plates on the 5749 are oriented for vertical deployment as are the JBL logos.

I noted the 5749 to avoid any confusion because they came loaded with 2242’s.

Barry.
    Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    The 5749 enclosure is the 4642A enclosure is an 18 ft2 enclosure. It also works with B-6 alignment (set the filter to 22Hz).
    I never noticed that these were essentially the same cabinet, and correct, the 5749 does have the 2242 drivers,yielding an internal volume of about 13.4 cubic feet. I could have the 5749s built except somewhat shallower, yielding about 13.4 cubic feet. Does anyone know the size of the stock port opening? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Valveglow View Post
    ...Does anyone know the size of the stock port opening?
    15.75" X 7" and 15.75" deep.

Barry.

Barry.
    Thank you Barry!!

Barry.
    Hi Barry. I send you a private message. Thanks again.

Thread Information