Thread: Low sound out of one of two L220

Low sound out of one of two L220

I am really thinking to get those L220 sitting non utilized at a friend's place since ages, his dad, the original owner, passed away over ten years ago and he had a habit to give his gear a lick of varnish, probably in the aim not to have them discolored by sitting near to a window or for some reason I am not aware of.

I went yesterday to again inspect the speakers, grilles are not original, they are a color between brown and purple I don't like at all, it's just cosmetics but I'd eventually turn then either back to original brown (if easy to find) or to a black, cabinets are in good shape, they have always been sitting on small sliders as to position them in the right configuration when in use (otherwise they would lay agains a wall), the speakers seems fine, to me it seems the woofers have been already seen a suspension replacement but the passive needs be refoamed, I watched some tutorials and doesn't look that difficult and it's encouraging to work on those since they are not electrically connected.

What worries me is the fact that the output level out of one of the two is much lower than the other, I know it would be easy to open the top of the speaker and take the xover out for inspection, what could the cause be, bad caps or what else? I don't have any instrument other than a multimeter to eventually check and I also wouldn't want to embark myself in a too big for my skills and financial adventure.

Reason I am looking at the L220 is that my 4311B are in strong need of stands, thought of building those AR like ones from late 80s to a height of about 19"/48cm which along with the height of the speakers themselves would get as high as a meter/40" which is almost as tall as the L220 even tho these are a little wider but could fit them and am eager to listen to their sound stage compared to my 4311B whose "monitor" orientation doesn't really give that width I so much look forward to (I have a pair of cheap two way stand speakers in the make just to find out what changes with regards to the sound scene).

What should I look at the the L220 in detail to be sure I can put them back into working odder?

Grazie

eliminate, eliminate, eliminate

eliminate variables.
    Start with the source. Plug in headphones. is the problem still there ??

preamp/receiver settings ?? with power OFF, rack the balance knob fully around couple of times, then do same to volume knob. IF source checks fine, THEN start looking towards the speakers or even wire connections.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    eliminate variables.
    Start with the source. Plug in headphones. is the problem still there ??

preamp/receiver settings ?? with power OFF, rack the balance knob fully around couple of times, then do same to volume knob. IF source checks fine, THEN start looking towards the speakers or even wire connections.
    When connecting different speakers to the same amp (in this instance it's an AV amp from some years ago) they work flawlessly, also the connections seem to be ok, just wondering if it might be a x-over issue so that I can eventually put an offer on the table to get them provided I would have to anyways redo the foam on the passive woofers and the grilles (the owner for some strange reason changed the fabric and I don't like it at all!).

Thanks

Do the controls on the back respond as expected (per driver)? The L-pad/attenuators can become faulty.
    Move them back and forth, vigorously. There should be no dropouts, but perhaps some "scratchy" noises from the drivers.

If possible, check internal wiring connections as well as individual drivers.

Is there a particular driver that persistently sounds low? The "cateye" speakers can be expensive to replace and parts are difficult to find.

Good luck!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ll=1#post36939

Thread Information