Thread: Class D amplifier to run sub

Class D amplifier to run sub

My trusty Crown Dc300a sub woofer amp is starting to give me some fits. Im wonder if any one has assembled a sub woofer amplifier using the Class D amplifier boards that seem to be readily available? I have no experience with class D and Im wondering what the feelings are here about them. I have had no experience with Class D. My amps are all Crown except for a couple single ended Class A amps I built.
    I use a pair of LAB 12 woofers and one of Rod Elliots ELF processors for the sub in a biamped system
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Glenn

I have no experience building Class D amps but I can second the idea of using them for subs. (I use a JBL powered sub that employs Class D.) It's a win-win all around as an idea. Heat, power consumption, reliability, and all but the bargain basement units are low distortion in the upper frequencies as well. I have some absolutely stellar amplifiers but my advice to anyone including myself if starting from scratch seeking a stereo would be to see what Sony offers in Class D and do a one and done. (Sony invented it, and digital audio, BTW, and their audio products have always been very well designed, usually reasonably priced and seldom fail. Why Sony gets zero respect from audiophiles is the biggest mystery in audio marketing.) The lowest distortion contributing element in audio reproduction is amplification and audiophiles fuss about it WAY too much. Name one speaker manufacturer that reveals distortion figures. or cartridge or TT companies. There is a reason for that. Fussing about components that have .01 to .001 percent distortion while speaker systems have several to ten percent makes one look pretty foolish.

Sony aside, several companies have ultra-low distortion Class D products. Since that result is in the details of implementation and not the fundamentals, I would think the kit or homebuilt route might be challenging. I expect by now there are Class D plate amps in the catalogs. Ugly but easy to hide, and they do publish specifications.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Class D amplifier

Thanks for your input. Parts Express sells some high power class D amplifier boards to assemble your own amp. I havent tried any but it might be worth a shot.
    Also I saw Ducati in your ID. I used to be a Honda RC51 rider. But at 61 the reflexes arent what they used to be so no more getting it past 45 degrees in a corner. Get old!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Also I saw Ducati in your ID. I used to be a Honda RC51 rider. But at 61 the reflexes arent what they used to be so no more getting it past 45 degrees in a corner. Get old!!
    Thanks
    I crashed my 2000 Monster 900 almost a decade ago and it still sits in the garage. It runs but the plastic, glass, and fiberglass is all toast. With no funds to fix it... I have since embraced my lifelong love of bicycles instead. At seventy-one I probably have no business on a sports bike anyway. Some years ago a motorcycle magazine brought in Paul Smart to ride the original Imola winner and Ducati's tribute edition. He feathered in the sidewalls on the first lap and was as lean as the day of the 1972 race. The problem is, I'm not Paul Smart.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Fussing about components that have .01 to .001 percent distortion while speaker systems have several to ten percent makes one look pretty foolish.
    I've sometimes wondered why this is not widely acknowledged by the so-called experts, well said!

Class D is nothing to shy away from, modern implementations can be some of the best amps in-market. Hypex NCore is top-shelf, for example, but most class D is head and shoulders above some of the poorer, older implementations, so you should be fine, in the bass in particular.

My Marantz PM-10 sounds great--to me.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Not a Fan

I have found that the Class "D" amps that I have auditioned for hi power applications used on subs were bloated on the low end. Just not tite as a Class H Crest (heavy assed units).

I"ve auditioned the Lab Gruppen 20Ks against the Crest 9001. Prefer the Crests

It all comes down to what you like!

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    I have found that the Class "D" amps that I have auditioned for hi power applications used on subs were bloated on the low end. Just not tite as a Class H Crest (heavy assed units).

I"ve auditioned the Lab Gruppen 20Ks against the Crest 9001. Prefer the Crests

It all comes down to what you like!

Oldmics
    I bet in addition to personal preference, the woofers being used will also affect your results. Some woofers require more back EMF control from the amp than others.

Widget

Thread Information