Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4310 question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4310 question

Hi all. Was wondering why JBL built the 4310's with the woofer on top and the highs on the bottom. I'm thinking they wanted them off the ground/higher off the floor to cut down on the boom? Thoughts?

they were meant to sit up on a console/mixing bridge .. so tweets were at ear level.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Yeah, I read on this site about the console/mixing thing, but I can't understand why they would build them for home use with the components configured that way unless they figured most who bought them were to be recording studios. Of course that wouldn't make good business sense making them a niche thing. Maybe i'm way off base here.

Quote Originally Posted by sdjblnut View Post
    I can't understand why they would build them for home use with the components configured that way unless they figured most who bought them were to be recording studios.
    43xx or 44xx series were made and sold by JBL Pro Division, most of those models also have an almost direct Consumer Division equivalent, tho NOT the 4310.

Thanks for clearing things up for me and that makes perfect sense. When I was looking for a pair of L100's in 2003 the 4310's popped up for $300.00 in nice condition and I jumped on them. I guess I'm a fool for the boom, but maybe being placed higher up the wall might help a bit.

Thanks for clearing things up for me and that makes perfect sense. When I was looking for a pair of L100's in 2003 the 4310's popped up for $300.00 in nice condition and I jumped on them. I guess I'm a fool for the boom, but maybe being placed higher up the wall might help a bit.
    when I had a pair, just turned them upside down. Only problem is that it puts the usually scratched up bottom now ontop where it is visible. YMMV.

getting them off the floor helps with the boomey bass issue.

Believe it or not the bottoms are in good shape (they mostly spent their life in a recording studio before I got them), but to me it would look goofy with the JBL, wording, and numbers upside down.

When you had your 4310's did you ever have thoughts about changing things around a bit like changing the tweet to a slot or a 075 with a slant plate etc. and build new enclosures? Just curious.

When you had your 4310's did you ever have thoughts about changing things around a bit like changing the tweet to a slot or a 075 with a slant plate etc. and build new enclosures? Just curious.
    Be it cars or audio or most mechanical gear, I generally trust the manufacturer and don't change things around much.

Caps, different drivers,,etc .... NO , I just don't have the knowledge that the producer did.

Sure, refoams, new grille cloth, binding posts ..things that don't alter much. Additionally , if you resell an item (as I often do) , buyers usually want UNmodified condition.

IF I want a different sound, well I buy a different item. I pickup a lot of gear, sell on the things that don't impress and keep the better stuff.

I still have that old 70's attitude "if it works, fix it" and make it better? It worked on cars/trucks, but... I didn't know beans about speaker technology, but loved to build nice enclosures using JBL raw frame speakers. I can't believe how much money I spent on speakers and guitars back then! Great advice on leaving them alone.

I still have that old 70's attitude "if it works, fix it" and make it better?
    At Intel we had a saying "if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is"

La Mesa, CA ??? As a former Canoe Club member, spent a lot of time in Sandy Eggo. Basic, schools, Coronado, NAS North Island ..etc. (before the bridge, we took the ferry to downtown )

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    At Intel we had a saying "if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is"

La Mesa, CA ??? As a former Canoe Club member, spent a lot of time in Sandy Eggo. Basic, schools, Coronado, NAS North Island ..etc. (before the bridge, we took the ferry to downtown )
    "if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is"who said this in Intel?
    46 lover

I always thought it was "If it isn't ""ain"t"" broke don't fix it" as in just leave it be?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I always thought it was "If it isn't ""ain"t"" broke don't fix it" as in just leave it be?

Rob
    @ ITT Federal Electric Corp, servicing the Western Test Range:

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke" LOL
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

SEAWOLF97, You're showing your age. You know that bridge was completed in 1969? LOL

SEAWOLF97, You're showing your age. You know that bridge was completed in 1969? LOL
    I remember them building it. we thought the toll (25 cents, one way only..AFAIR) was outrageous and often drove the long way round, through Imperial Beach.
    When I was in counterinsurgency training at the Coronado Amphib base, we'd play on the beach ... understand it's hotels now.

Ah yes, we'd slink into the beach bar at the Hotel Del and try not to look like squids, could only afford 1 beer there ...

Thread Information