Thread: 8ohm vs 16ohm

8ohm vs 16ohm

Hi friends,

I've got a vintage C54 trimline, with the 8ohm LE8T full-range driver, with no network.
    I'm thinking of replacing it with 16 ohm driver. And any sonic benefit?
    Thanks for your comment in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi friends,

I've got a vintage C54 trimline, with the 8ohm LE8T full-range driver, with no network.
    I'm thinking of replacing it with 16 ohm driver. And any sonic benefit?
    Thanks for your comment in advance.
    I'd say install what ever sounds best, regardless of the impedance stamped on the back. Back when those were designed - the age of tubes - the 16 ohm had some design advantages, I seem to recall. Today, with solid state everything, I don't think it makes any real difference. I guess LE8T is extinct at this point? Had a friend, way back when, who had one of those C54 and it sounded surprisingly good. I'd keep trying to find / restore the LE8T. Anybody here have recommendations for a current 8" Hi Fi driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    I'd say install what ever sounds best, regardless of the impedance stamped on the back. Back when those were designed - the age of tubes - the 16 ohm had some design advantages, I seem to recall. Today, with solid state everything, I don't think it makes any real difference. I guess LE8T is extinct at this point? Had a friend, way back when, who had one of those C54 and it sounded surprisingly good. I'd keep trying to find / restore the LE8T. Anybody here have recommendations for a current 8" Hi Fi driver?
    Got it. But the thing is the 8 ohm power amp. If I use this 16ohm driver speaker with this 8 ohm speaker, don't you think it affects the volume, given the difference of ohm? I think I read it somewhere.

Unless you're using a tube amplifier (in which case, use the proper output transformer tap), you may hear a slight reduction in ultimate loudness capability... something you -might- notice if playing the amp at clipping levels (unlikely).

It -is- likely you will notice the volume knob needs to be turned up a little for the same volume (~3dB if marked that way). It will hurt nothing.

Apart from the 16 ohm label that JBL put on early le8T's > I believe all generations have the same working impedance ( 8 ohms ).

IOW; the mission to find a pair of 16 ohm le8's ( that actually measure higher than their 8 ohm brethern ) is right on par with looking for the fountain of youth ( > not sanctioned by the Explorers Club )

lol, well there you go.

So sonic benefit (original question) would be more tied to the condition of the replacement units than anything else.

Thanks a lot, grumpy and Eark K for your valuable comments!
    By the way, my C54 is a very early one, but its LE8-1 (not LE8T) is 8ohm, not 16 ohm.

Thread Information