Thread: Dual LE14As in 6cu ft, dual chamber. Pitfalls?

Dual LE14As in 6cu ft, dual chamber. Pitfalls?

I am building a new project.

As the title reflects, it will be a 6 cu ft cabinet with two, 3 cu ft chambers, each tuned to 27Hz for an F3 of 33. The LF config will be a 2.5 way with the MF crossed at ~ 1000Hz to a 2425 on a 2344 using a 4430 crossover (modern DIY clone). The second LE14A will handle duties from 100Hz down

As you may have surmised, this is an LE14A flavor of a 4435.

The cabinets are built but baffles are not cut yet.

Before I commit, does anyone see an immovable object in the way of this working well?

Side bar - I have seven Le 14As. Four white, three green (Heathkit). I want to load four Heathkits. If anyone has another green one, PM me.

Thanks.I love this site and the knowledge delivered, even those with a cheeky bent.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    I am building a new project.

As the title reflects, it will be a 6 cu ft cabinet with two, 3 cu ft chambers, each tuned to 27Hz for an F3 of 33. The LF config will be a 2.5 way with the MF crossed at ~ 1000Hz to a 2425 on a 2344 using a 4430 crossover (modern DIY clone). The second LE14A will handle duties from 100Hz down

As you may have surmised, this is an LE14A flavor of a 4435.

The cabinets are built but baffles are not cut yet.

Before I commit, does anyone see an immovable object in the way of this working well?

Side bar - I have seven Le 14As. Four white, three green (Heathkit). I want to load four Heathkits. If anyone has another green one, PM me.

Thanks.I love this site and the knowledge delivered, even those with a cheeky bent.
    I'd advise making separate cabinets for everything ( iow; 3 stack-able cabinets per side ).

You'll gain greater flexibility this way.

I'd also consider going MTM with the top le14 housed in a sealed cabinet ( & sized to optimize transient/midrange response ) .

The bottom box could still be a type of .5 ( but best low-passed higher than a typical .5 arrangement > experimentation will be required but I would start with something around 250hz ).

Le14's are not linear above @ 1K so I would recommend a crossover point to whatever horn driver in the area of 750 to 1000hz .

Thanks Earl K. This was a very good time to get that suggestion as I have not begun to cut baffles. I have the 6 cu ft boxes, but I can cut them in half on the table saw so I end up with the three total boxes per side. The 2425/6 on the 2344 crosses at 1000Hz, so I am confident I can get the crossover smooth there.

ALMOST a three-way...

Anyone else have input?

Thanks in advance,
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post

Anyone else have input?
    Have you seen this thread on a similar topic? Speakerdave's post is most apropos.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...th-jBL-LE14H-4

I think you'll be fighting your drivers going down this road... you can likely correct the frequency imbalance with DSP, but why set yourself up for a fight?

Widget

Just finished reading dubkarma's thread and Earl's response as well as all the other posts, and I'm not going down the dual LE14 road.

These boxes will become 4430s as planned.

Thread Information