Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a tweeter to Altecs

Adding a tweeter to Altecs

I have a pair of VOT Magnificents that I would like to add a tweeter to. The speakers are in remarkable condition and I would prefer to leave them intact and use an externally mounted tweet and crossover. I've looked at the JBL 075's as a canidate, but would like to hear any sugguestions. Thanks to all.
    Robin
    Robin

The 077/2405 slot definitely goes higher in frequency than the 075/2402... I'd be inclined to do that.

Otherwise, the Fostex FT17H horn would be a good choice. Very efficient, very flat out to like FORTY KILOHERTZ! Now, THAT'S a SUPER-tweeter!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    The 077/2405 slot definitely goes higher in frequency than the 075/2402... I'd be inclined to do that.

Otherwise, the Fostex FT17H horn would be a good choice. Very efficient, very flat out to like FORTY KILOHERTZ! Now, THAT'S a SUPER-tweeter!

Regards,
    Gordon.
    How would you crossover the highs? Can I just tap off of the existing horn? What vintage crossover could I use to best benifit or is there a better way?
    Robin

Anyone see any problem with him just hooking up something like an N8000 BEFORE the speaker cabinet, and just sending the low pass into the Magnificent and the highpass into the 075/077? It'd be staged in reverse to the normal way these are used, but as long as the crossovers are made to be cascaded (which I know an N8000 is), it shouldn't matter much which order, right? I'd not expect the Magnificent crossover to have any wild impedence issues, right?

If this is do-able, then the Altec wouldn't have to be modified at all... it'd just be a "black box" receiving the low pass of the external crossover...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thanks for the input! I'll look around for the components. The 075's and the 077's seem to bring about 450 on Ebay. (I have an extra pair of N500-e Altec crossovers I'd like to sell or trade for something that would work.)
    Robin

Todd W. White

Why?

If your Altec MAGNIFICENT's are working properly, they go way up there by themselves. Is there a particular problem you're having with them that would make you want to add supertweeters?

No problems at all and they sound terrific! I have had some Khorns in the house and thought the highs might have been somewhat better. That was the only thing that was better though. I just though that the VOT speakers were said to benifit from the addition of a "supertweeter". Call it a test. Obviously I don't want to in anyway alter the speakers I have, therefore the external setup so that I can revert to the way they are now.

Robin
    Robin

Todd W. White

Leave Them Alone, Then...

Well, if they sound great, why mess with them?

The 802 in the MAGNIFICENT, particularly if it has the original diaphragm (not available at this time - maybe soon), has excellent frequency response to the upper limits of human hearing. Inaudible upper harmonics notwithstanding, I never used a supertweeter with them, as I found that all of the music that I could hear (my last test had me out to 17.5 kHz - I'm 44) was there with the standard driver/horn combo.

The only things I would do is firm up the cabinet, make sure the speakers are performing up to spec, dampen the horn, calibrate it properly, and ENJOY!

Saves money too - supertweeters and their related paraphanalia can get expensive...why buy stuff that you can't hear?

What exactly would I do to calibrate the horn? Any easy test to see if they are performing up to spec? I'm 57 and, of course, have high frequency hearing loss. If I could determine that the speakers were performing to their max I'd be less anal about tweeking. I'll will be damping the horns.
    Robin

John Sheerin
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonW

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Gordon,
    Have you actually measured that? If so, maybe I have a dud - mine starts rolling off above 10k. Sensitivity is also only spec'd at 98dB iirc, so not really in the same range as some more expensive items.

John

Robin

I can suggest you to use as tweeter an electro voice ST350A or B

Patrick

Maron Horonzakz
    The EV st350 due to its phenolic diaphram do not do mutch above above 15k.. I would recommend JBL 2404 or 2405 good to 21.5k

Hello rloggie

You have any test equipment?? I use an RTA to set things up and balance out the drivers in my speakers. You could purchase something like a Behringer 8024 or go the PC route with software. Either way will work well and give you the tools you need to take some basic measurements that won't cost you an arm and a leg. I will post a link for software. If you go that route you need a measurement microphone and a phantom power source. You could just get a battery source like a Crown PH-IA. You see them on Ebay or an inexpensive mixer will do nicely too.

http://www.trueaudio.com/

http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/103292.pdf

Just examples there is lot's of stuff available just start looking.

Rob

Yeah, the 802 have output that goes to around 20KHz... but it's kind of like the EV T35 that was mentioned before- it's THERE, it's just that it's DOWN IN LEVEL a bit compared to the stuff between 5 and 10KHz. Once you get to about 10KHz, the 802 starts a "tilt-down" in the curve, and it's down 3 dB or so by the time it gets to 20KHz, if I remember the last time I measured one.

Also, no, I haven't measured the Fostex... so it's entirely possible that we're dealing with "specification inflation" with the '17H. I would be interested in seeing the graph for ANOTHER one... if it's taking off THAT severely above 10KHz, it may indeed be grenaded or defective...

I still say, for level matching and overall extension, that either the 2404 or 2405/077 would be the cat's meow here. With a simple crossover to bring it in at like, 10-12KHz or so, it should do the trick handily. Heck, you could probably just put a 2405 in there, and put like, a .68uf cap and an L-pad on it, and parallel it with the VOTT input... I'd bet it would work.

Oh, and BTW: Oftentimes, supertweeters, even if they don't add that much extra treble energy, ARE QUITE AUDIBLE in their effect. This is, partly, because a system that is linear to higher frequencies, suffers less from group delay in the upper frequencies, between 8 and 20Khz. This can help wavefront integrity- the leading edge of transients are more faithfully reproduced. I've even heard a supertweeter improve the apparent quality of BASS and MIDBASS- it's all about the timing of the leading edges of those wavefronts, even those with very low frequency fundamentals...

Regards,
    Gordon.

sfogg
    ". but it's kind of like the EV T35 that was mentioned before- it's THERE, it's just that it's DOWN IN LEVEL a bit compared to the stuff between 5 and 10KHz."

I don't know about the 802 but my 902s have more top end then the Klipsch K77 (EV T35).

This is a K77

My 902...

Shawn

Thread Information