Thread: JBL 4367 - Nominal Impedance

JBL 4367 - Nominal Impedance

Hi,

What should we trust, the backplate says nominal impedance 8 ohm, but the manual says 6 ohm. I saw a review where they measured 5.8 ohm as minimum, so 8 ohm could be possible.

Does anyone know what to trust?

We can trust that it doesn't matter.

I think he could be using McIntosh amps and deciding on which tap to use. I would use the 4 ohm tap.

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    I think he could be using McIntosh amps and deciding on which tap to use. I would use the 4 ohm tap.
    That is correct :-). I'm using the 4 Ohm taps, but to be honest I like the 8 ohm best, so I would like to know the nominal imp.

Check with Macintosh on what is best.

These types of systems generally exhibit a low impedance in the bass frequency but can be as high as 10 ohms across the spectrum. In the link below you can see the impedance dips to 5.5 ohms at 100 and 1000 hertz. The 8ohm output is most likely safe. In any case contact Macintosh with this data for their opinion.

http://www.newaudio.it/JBL/4367%20JB...te%20Paper.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A slightly clearer version of the impedance chart: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post384174

I have MAC MC-601's and prefer the 8 ohm tap on the 4367's, which sounds pretty close in bass control and overall balance to what other high end solid state amps (Krell, ML etc) that do not have output transformers sound like. The 4 ohm tap is a bit slow and too warm sounding to my ears. But there probably is no right or wrong, use whatever you think sounds best.

JBL 4367 impedance matching with Mcintosh amps

I have the Macintosh MAC7200 integrated. After read your post I switched from 4 ohm to 8 ohm. The overall sound become quicker and brighter (more treble). I will keep it 8 ohm for couple weeks and give a long term fee back later. Mainly to see if there is any ear fatigue after hours of listening. Since the 4 ohm connection, although sounded a little too warm, has zero ear fatigue after hours of listening.

I really don't notice much of a difference between the 8 & 4 ohm taps on my MA7900, when you use the 4 ohm taps you have to increase the volume by 3db before you are able to compare the two outputs.

JBL 4367 matching with Mcintosh impedence

I switched from 4 ohm to 8 . After more than a week of listening, I do feel it sounds a little more brighter, clear and better. I ll stick with 8 ohm connection for a while. The good about brighter sound is: you can listen at very low volume and still sounds clear n dynamic.

Smile Back to 4ohm out of Mcintosh

Quote Originally Posted by kfz03110 View Post
    I switched from 4 ohm to 8 . After more than a week of listening, I do feel it sounds a little more brighter, clear and better. I ll stick with 8 ohm connection for a while. The good about brighter sound is: you can listen at very low volume and still sounds clear n dynamic.
    8 ohm sounded good for two weeks. Then ear fatigue started: my listening time became shorter; and I started to turning the volume down more often. Switched back to 4ohm: the warm sweetness came back. Its simply richer in the mid range. I can listen more hours now; and wanted to turn the volume up more often again.

Thread Information