Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two crossovers for 4350

Two crossovers for 4350

Hi all, I was thinking of using 2 identical active crossovers for the 4350 one left one right. Would it be better to have one crossover on both the woofers left and right and the other crossover left and right on the highs or one crossover for the left channel high and low and one for the right channel high and low. Horizontal configuration of vertical configuration? Just wanted to try it for kicks. Have two crossover laying around. I'm sure somebody has tried this., Thanks.

Are they 2 way mono or stereo?? Yeah with amps not crossovers everyone I have used is low out and high out. I have daisy chained and M552 to M553 to get a 4 way stereo.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Seems like channel isolation would be preferred over driver signal isolation.
    May sound fine either way, but I’d second one mono high/low crossover unit per side L/R, vs one low/low and the other high/high, unless there were other considerations that have not been voiced.

If you have one active crossover per channel to cover all three crossover points if the unit is capable of this then this is the better way.

The reason is if you split the duty between the two active crossover or daisy chain them the highs and uhf have to be looped through the input stage of the second active crossover. In theory the less stages the better in terms of noise and distortion.

In each mono active crossover there is usually a balanced/ unbalanced input stage and output stage if it’s a pro unit.
    The filters will be either Salen Key multiple feedback topology or a State Variable topology.

The cross talk of two bass or treble channels in a stereo chassis configuration while small in theory is worse than a dual mono chassis. Most of these designs have high power supply rejection in terms of intermodulation distortion. It’s the leakage due to signal routing in a stereo chassis that causes problems with noise and cross talk.

On the downside make sure you have each mono chassis set up exactly the same as and each one has exactly the same gain or output levels for each frequency band. If you get that wrong it will screw with your head because it will sound odd but you ont know why!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    ... If you get that wrong it will screw with your head because it will sound odd but you wont know why!
    Indeed. This is a more critical adjustment than it might seem... particularly for stereo imaging using loudspeaker systerms which are more capable in that area.

Worthwhile to both listen and measure (using tones/SPL meter in the nearfield is probably 'easiest' re setting levels).. shoot for 0.1dB balance between channels at a reasonable listening level (volume pots can be pretty bad tracking at the lowest settings).

In a semi-reflective (normal home) environment, it will also help to attempt some semblance of symmetry re speaker placement/room boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    Hi all, I was thinking of using 2 identical active crossovers for the 4350 one left one right. Would it be better to have one crossover on both the woofers left and right and the other crossover left and right on the highs or one crossover for the left channel high and low and one for the right channel high and low. Horizontal configuration of vertical configuration? Just wanted to try it for kicks. Have two crossover laying around. I'm sure somebody has tried this., Thanks.
    It was JBL UREI 5233 that was made for that, a kind of 5234 with half of the electronic

You can use two 5234, 5234A or 5235 populated with only one crossover card each for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Indeed. This is a more critical adjustment than it might seem... particularly for stereo imaging using loudspeaker systerms which are more capable in that area.

Worthwhile to both listen and measure (using tones/SPL meter in the nearfield is probably 'easiest' re setting levels).. shoot for 0.1dB balance between channels at a reasonable listening level (volume pots can be pretty bad tracking at the lowest settings).

In a semi-reflective (normal home) environment, it will also help to attempt some semblance of symmetry re speaker placement/room boundaries.
    One Chinese audiophile told me he has a ARC(AUDIO REFERENCE COMPANY) crossover for 4430,that's amazing
    46 lover

crossovers

WOW, Thanks for the great education. The crossovers are RANE AC 22 two way stereo. If I had the JBL 5233'S UREI'S ( I didn't know those were made) would I would need 2 -250hz cards if those are available? Or just use the crossovers I have? I thought all of your suggestions for the set up was the way to do this but wasn't I sure. Looks like I have a fun project ahead. It is deeper than I thought. This is the great think about JBL and the 4350's. always something to mess with. Are there many 4350 owners that do this? Also is there any way all of you could move to my neighborhood.? Thanks again.

They are around.

There was one near you but he’s been mia for quite a while.

The Rane stuff is not bad for its era but they are not that transparent.

You will find it difficult to obtain cards for the Jbl 5234/5 these days.

Crossovers

Thanks again Ian. Any other crossover suggestions?

It depends on your expectations.

It’s your going to bark it up and make a loud noise with heavy rock you can use much anything. If your expectations are something approaching hifi it’s going to come down to your budget.

The Ashley gear is not bad. The infamous Jbl DX1 was very good but NLA.

No hard rock. hifi. What do think of 2 Bryston sub crossovers at very very reasonable price.?

V Good

What the price offered on 2?

Be aware the highest crossover frequency is 500 hertz

http://www.bryston.com/products/other/10B-SUB.html

So if you were planning on tri amp using two stereo units it won’t work.

Bi amp only on 4350. It appears the sub has a 250 hertz crossover pt. Should work? For two $1500.00. About 7 yrs old.

Just wondering why buy two if you can only use one?

Thread Information