Thread: 4311B & L19 & New Studio 590!

4311B & L19 & New Studio 590!

I don't see much activity recently on this forum regarding the Studio 590. I saw these on sale recently and thought I'd try them; free shipping & generous return policy.
    I love my vintage JBLs and thought if these new 590s don't perform well, I'll hook them to the TV and the kids can use them while watching Sponge Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The other idea I had was that if they did not sound good, I'd dress them up to look like imaginary top of the line JBL "Project 590" speakers for looks and listen to the vintage speakers.
    Name:  JBL Project.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  24.7 KB

I think your idea to make them look better has a lot of merit.

I happen to like the trim accents that the S2600 & S3100 ) used.

That darker shade of ( more purple ) blue that JBL has used on some fronts is quite attractive ( to my eyes ).

Anyways, here's one vote for you to proceed with creative haste ( ha! ).

I have now had these speakers over a month and have been listening to them almost every day. I run them through a 150W Yamaha amplifier. I play CDs, Digital files, Tape and LP through them.

The results are not exactly what I thought. What I now have are two pair of vintage JBLs that I keep for 'visual appearance' and I listen to the Studio 590s!

How are they better?

Initial impression compared to 4311b:
    Bass response has more punch and is well defined. Bass guitar is more 'boing, boing, boing' than 'thud, thud, thud.' It is more musical.
    Midrange is not as pronounced and not as muddy.
    Off axis listening is much better

Based on the above, I thought I'd try to improve the sound of the 4311b.
    I tried a number of different amps and preamps and integrated amps with the 4311b. I wound up with a 150W Yamaha A-1000 integrated because of its unique "Loudness" control. I found that at the listening levels I usually use, the 4311b were probably not driven hard enough. So, much tweaking with the bass/tone and loudness controls and tweaking the two trimmers on the front of the 4311b I was able to narrow the gap between the 4311b and the 590. Mostly boosting bass and diminishing upper midrange.

Conclusion:
    Studio 590 wins but not by a large margin. 4311b are still very enjoyable to hear. I have the 4311b [since they are close field monitors] set up right in front of my listening chair, and have the 590 at the end of the room to fill the room with music when I'm not critically listening. So I'm keeping both sets.

PS: I had to disconnect the L19 from the system to hook up the 590. I'm still working on their setup. Either another integrated amp (like a Pioneer SX828 not in service at this time) or hooking to one of the existing amps.

Name:  Yamaha HiFi Setup.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  167.7 KB

I'm sure Greg Timbers would have appreciated a little more in the budget to improve the fit and finish of the Studio 5XX line, but he sure got the sound right for the tight budget!
    Out.

I actually like the way the look. I like the whole series. The 'tall rectangle' home theater market is littered with speakers that look mostly the same. These JBL "Studio" series are really unique and don't look like any other speaker out there. "Average Folks" that come over and see these are like "Wow those are cool!"

Sure, these Project Array speakers are great, and one of GT's best (I dream of having some), but to the average Joe, they can look unfinished or home made:

Thread Information