Thread: Source for obsolete diaphragms?

Source for obsolete diaphragms?

There are quite a few diaphragms that are no longer available from JBL. The 052Ti is of particular interest to me.

Is there an alternative source of diaphragms that are of at least as good as quality as the original diaphragms if not better?

There seems to be diaphragms of inferior quality. (Sorry Martin , nothing personal.)

I am looking for diaphragms specifically for JBL tweeters, not diaphragms for CDs. I know that those are available.

In the Klipsch world a guy has developed Ti diaphragms for tweeters and has made quite a business of selling them as well as modified crossover networks. He also designs and sells variations of Klipsch speakers.

There seems to be a significant interest in DIY JBL speakers, both those that seek to replicate JBL designs and those that seek to improve upon the JBL designs in various ways. Perhaps there is sufficient interest in either reproduction or improved replacement diaphragms for JBL tweeters that are no longer supported by JBL.

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

It looks as though the 052Ti version, D8R052Ti, is not available, only the 035Ti version.

Other than the 4 tabs that must be clipped to fit the 052 in the 035 speaker, are they identical?

Be wary of this aftermarket stuff. I asked for and received a detailed spec sheet on the "LE25 style tweeter" they and others sell---Not even close. As for reviews, many said the LE25 copy was just as good as the original--didn't even notice it wasn't as loud or was out of phase compared to the original, with a ragged frequency response to boot...Always ask for specs and compare.
    Sometimes they are different in a good way. Many JBL people I have read reviews from or talked to, say the Chinese LE5 actually sounds better and measures better than the original, even the 104H...Crapshoot.....

Yeah, that is where I am at. It seems as though I have seen a post somewhere that the "Simply Speakers" diaphragms were not up to snuff.

It is possible though. Bob Crites' Klipsch diaphragms are regarded as a significant upgrade, as are Truextent Be diagrams that fit JBL CD's. It is possible or at least would seem so.

At present I am searching for an existing replacement that is as good as or better although I suspect that there is not. And if not, what is the feasibility of developing one and would there be a market for them?

Some diaphragms for compression drivers made by Radian seem of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by maxserg View Post
    Some diaphragms for compression drivers made by Radian seem of good quality.
    Yes, and this is part of my inspiration for pursuing this. There must be 'as good as' if not 'better than' diaphragms that, if not presently available, can be developed.

Unfortunately Radian does not, as far as I know, make diaphragms for JBL tweeters such as the 052Ti. If I can't find a good replacement then I am thinking about working with a diaphragm manufacturer do develop a replacement diaphragm.

Thread Information