Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Power Amps for JBL 4675C

I think you're going to find that the 4675C doesn't need a bunch of fancy DSP. An L-R 24 crossover (3rd Order on the HF, 4th order on the LF will work best with that horn/driver on the HF) with the right delay on the LF and some CD horn boost and you are pretty much going to have a pretty flat response. In the cinema industry, there are a TON of analog crossovers for that speaker because it was so popular. If you like QSC, their MXa amplifiers had the XC-1 crossover, the EX amp had the XC-2 the current DCA (though CX will work) can use the XC-3 crossovers. The Series 1 amps had octal plugs and both QSC and a company called USL (now, recently, owned by QSC made their XTA series of octal plugs as well as a frame that took those octal plugin crossovers). One of the last vestiges of those crossovers that had the JBL 4675C in mind is the XTM-300 by USL (now QSC)
    https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/.../usl-xtm-300a/

Component Engineering may even have some of their cards (fit a dbx 900 series frame, as I recall or the Genuine THX crossover/monitor (analog)). Those cards will be for the 4675C https://www.componentengineering.com/thx_crossover.html. There are a ton of the D1138 crossover/monitors on eBay at the moment, and they will work but they are EARLY dsp audio and you'd need the correct DOS program to configure it (yes, I said DOS). I would tend to stick with a good analog crossover myself unless the DSP is coming along for other uses.

Mctwins
    If you are using the passive x-over there is no settings in dbx260 for EQ-ing.

In dbx260 there is settings for both 4675C-4LF and 4675C-8LF in bi-amp mode.

Might be able to get one on Ebay cheap

We have pretty well covered what can be done

Out of curiosity l am interested in what area the OP thinks it can be improved?

Thanks, sguttag, Ill take a look at these amps. But why shouldnt I keep my JBL M553 as a crossover? I understand that a DSP-crossover might be better, but why these other analogs?

Well, Ian, honestly I dont have much experience with high end audio, so I cant exactly tell how much better the sound will get. I am 17 and Ive just recently gotten into all this stuff, but it is absolutely great. Anyway, as long as there is a scientific explanation, that something can make a noticable difference, Im ready to try it.

Thats why Ill try to time delay the woofers with a DSP, and obviously an active crossover also has advantages has big advantages over passive ones. Measuring the frequency response will also be done and corrected with EQ. Maybe even bass array-type of ideas... And of course more room treatment.

However, I am not really convinced by the arguments made for high wattage amps in hifi. Still Ill probably have to get an amp with at least 300W, because I cant find anything less powerful in pro audio. : ( Maybe 2 Bose 1800s?

Go ahead and give the M553 a go. It will probably do fine. I've never worked with it.

Thread Information