Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My upgrade project JBL L3

Thanks for the advice. Some cool pics. Are those 120Ti?
    Some day I'll have some of them blue JBLs. Almost had a nice pair of 4301b baby blues.

I'm going to leave these L3s alone. I actually passed on a nice pair of L60T for the same price for the L3s. The L60T I know and have listened to a bit and liked them. Should have got them instead.

Live and learn right!

Quote Originally Posted by CH46E View Post
    I actually passed on a nice pair of L60T for the same price for the L3s. The L60T I know and have listened to a bit and liked them. Should have got them instead.
    Heather will tell you (and I will agree with her), the L3 is a better speaker than the L60T. So, in that respect, you did okay! If I remember, heather modified the port on her L60T, then parted them out—or maybe sold them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for the advice. Some cool pics. Are those 120Ti?
    sure looks like some. IMHO () , the 120 is the best 3 way 12 inch "bookshelf" that JBL ever produced (under $5,000) .
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    IMHO () , the 120 is the best 3 way 12 inch "bookshelf" that JBL ever produced (under $5,000) .
    As I recall, the 120ti wasn't that impressive . . . until we lifted it off the floor and placed in on a chair then we all liked it quite a lot. I think it was that session listening to our host's 4333s that sent me on my quest for my own pair which ended in the purchase of my 4345s. Still love the L7 though. Those in the pictures are one of my two pair.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yep, I had L60T speakers - I didn't like the rear port - it meant I had to leave clearance between them and the wall,
    so I removed the tube from the rear port, got a hole saw the same size, drilled a port hole in the front, glued the resulting sawed plug into the rear port hole,
    and had a speaker that better suited my needs. But - tried for ages and never could get more money for the speaker than the 035tia tweeters would sell for.
    So, I gutted the speakers, sold the drivers, tried to give away the boxes and finally put the cabinets on the curb.

Phil's right - the L1, L3. L5, L7 series sound better than the older L20T, L60T, L80T series ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Your dog may be underemployed

I have been wanting a 2 way JBL bookshelf but because of a rambunctious Belgian Malinois dog I can't keep speakers on stands. She will knock them over..
    If your Malinois messes up your flat then this may be an indication of underemployment. The Malinois is much more agile and demanding than a normal German Shepherd. If you don't give it employment it will start looking for some. May be eating your shoes or your sofa. Or may be taking over leadership in the family.

Regards
    Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    If your Malinois messes up your flat then this may be an indication of underemployment. The Malinois is much more agile and demanding than a normal German Shepherd. If you don't give it employment it will start looking for some. May be eating your shoes or your sofa. Or may be taking over leadership in the family.

Regards
    Ruediger

All very true. We keep her busy and she loves chasing the fast RC Boat on the lake. We hide stuff for her to find all the time and she even recycles things for us. Water bottles paper plates etc.

But..... when she and our Anatolian Shepherd get to playing they get rough and tend to knock things over.

We have been very lucky that the Belgian (Zoe) is not destructive. Name:  20180712_214639.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  62.1 KB

As I stated before, I'm not really thrilled with the L3s.

Is there any way to help bring the vocals out/up a bit and maybe tame the tweeter just a hair.

I almost traded them for a pair of JBL S38s. I know it may sound corny but I find the L3 aesthetically pleasing. I want to keep them in the living room. Plus the wife seems to like them.

Originally I had planned to just recap them altogether. But with the less than stellar performance I was just going to leave them alone.

Are there some value changes I could make to the caps and or resistors that may help accomplish my goal of opening up the vocals?

Thanks guys.

Swap them out for L5s. They don't cost that much more, usually.
    I have a pair in my new home filling in until I can get the 4345s set up here.
    They're doing very well with a Crown PS400 and PSL2 in a large room.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Swap them out for L5s. They don't cost that much more, usually.
    I have a pair in my new home filling in until I can get the 4345s set up here.
    They're doing very well with a Crown PS400 and PSL2 in a large room.

I'd really like some L5 but right now I'm trying to get my hands on a Carver TFM45 to send out for upgrade and restoration.

Just need to get my Parasound 2250 v2 sold.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also wondering if the 035tia is replaceable with another "better" JBL titanium dome like a 044 or 052? I had the 035ti in my L80T and L20t and I have always like the Ti JBL tweeters. I have hearing loss and the titanium seems to work well for me. I know they can be a bit bright but I like bright. If I keep the 035tia in there I will be looking at replacing the foam under the dome.
    don't mistake this post for snark

I would bet that time in or around CH46's could have a detrimental affect on hearing. UH1's sure did for me, also all that time being 20 feet away from F4's in burner/launch mode.

A hearing exam MAY be prudent before making mods to hardware. If you make a claim with the VA, they will test for free and you may even earn a percent rating.

After being outbid on some 4301b on the bay
    I just finished up refoaming a pair of L19's (supposed to be a pretty close equivalent of the 4301b) and was quite impressed.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I found a item that helps

As I stated before, I'm not really thrilled with the L3s.

Is there any way to help bring the vocals out/up a bit and maybe tame the tweeter just a hair.

I almost traded them for a pair of JBL S38s. I know it may sound corny but I find the L3 aesthetically pleasing. I want to keep them in the living room. Plus the wife seems to like them.

Originally I had planned to just recap them altogether. But with the less than stellar performance I was just going to leave them alone.

Are there some value changes I could make to the caps and or resistors that may help accomplish my goal of opening up the vocals?

Thanks guys.
    i work for a local speaker manufacturer. They had a stack of bases that went it’s one of their towers. If fits perfectly and provides a spiked heavy stable base that adds 4”. I found they sound much better up at this altitude. Attachment 87159Attachment 87159Attachment 87159
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information