Thread: Anyone running Bryston?

Anyone running Bryston?

I have a few 3B NRB Bryston amps that need an overhaul and am wondering if its worth the investment. I know there is synergy with some amps and JBL speakers, of which McIntosh comes to mind. As far as being able to dream... one day maybe I can afford one.

Running a pair of L5's at the moment but planning something in the vein of a 4345 or something via DIY. Active crossovers and a Crown XLS1500 in the rack.

Curious if anyone has got Bryston amps with their JBLs and what their thoughts are with them.

Any suggestions/advice would be great.

I have the Lexicon versions. NT512 five channel, and NT224. Same as a 9B and 4B, I think. Perfect sound as far as I can tell, never a hint of strain. The 512 has had to go back to the factory twice. It's nice that they don't mind repairing their older amps, some models can even be upgraded. But it's not so nice that 512 could have been more reliable. They run hot and need to be given plenty of air. Not the best for a small rack. I thought that these would be the last amps I'd ever buy, but lately I've had thoughts of finding something that doesn't heat up the room as much.

Quote Originally Posted by mortron View Post
    I have a few 3B NRB Bryston amps that need an overhaul and am wondering if its worth the investment. I know there is synergy with some amps and JBL speakers, of which McIntosh comes to mind. As far as being able to dream... one day maybe I can afford one.

Running a pair of L5's at the moment but planning something in the vein of a 4345 or something via DIY. Active crossovers and a Crown XLS1500 in the rack.

Curious if anyone has got Bryston amps with their JBLs and what their thoughts are with them.

Any suggestions/advice would be great.
    While I use a Bryston 2B-LP (Pro) on the horn circuit of my biamped MTM's, I would not recommend that someone to go out of their way to do the same.

I find Brystons of this vintage typically sound a bit forward in the mids>hi-mids ( fwiw ).
    - that's just the opposite of what one wants when using JBL horn/drivers .

As Don C mentioned, all the Brystons I know ( & have used over past decades ) run really hot.

Compounding this fact is that each channel has an AC interrupt controller within the PS circuit ( this is a heat-sinked thermistor set to "break" AC supply at 75C ). This very basic "protection-circuit" can cause problems.
    - The part is quite clearly identified on all the relevant schematics that are available online from Bryston .

As an example; less than 2 weeks ago I had to remove each channel of my 2B-LP so that I could clean/vacuum out a little bit of dust that had collected on top of this pesky thermistor ( this is easy enough to do since the 2 amp modules slide out to the front of the amp > after removing 8 small screws total ) .

I did this cleaning because my left channel starting thermalling off ( & then resetting to "on" as the part cooled ).
    - Once cleaned of the small dust build up, this amp has been working flawlessly for the last couple of weeks ( fingers crossed ).

Sonically? Overall for the DIYer ( who must include his existing Bryston amps in his project ) I would steer clear of using JBL drivers loaded with titanium-diaphragms .
    - This is just not a good combo ( IMHO ) since it amounts to midrange glare x 2 ( though that's mostly attributal to the Ti diaphragm ) .

An aluminum diaphragmed Altec driver makes for a better HF combo when driven by my Bryston amp.

Name:  DSCN0591.JPG
Views: 2713
Size:  227.8 KB

Not sure if my post is applicable?

I'm running two Bryston 7BSST2 Monblocks with two JBL 4430 Monitors.

Coming from McIntosh Amplification prior to the Brystons I was initially not at all happy with the new Amps.

Very lean thin sound I experienced for the first 100-150 hours of play. Took quite awhile for these Amps to come around and have a better balanced sound.

Whether my ears changed with the Amps, and I got used to them, I'm not sure, but the handle the 4430's with gobs of very clean and effortless amplification, run very cool.

I do miss the big blue meters though.

A system is a sum of its parts!

I think of it in terms of soft domes versus metal domes.

Using a bright or clinical amplifier is only going to add to the clinical nature of a hard metal diaphragm.
    Whereas that amp might be just the ticket with a soft dome direct radiator system.

Jbl has been Dusting the diaphragms for a while now in nearly all its statement systems (for a reason).

For a while l was running SE class A Pass labs with anything JBL. No problem with titanium or slant plate lens.

The original X series were a bit bright in comparison to the Alephs but l find the X250.5 very good which runs SE bias up to about 10 Watts. It makes a real difference with horns.( It ain’t the diaphragm )

I also used the AX100 and AX30 which have the purity of the Aleph with the dynamics of the X series.. They are top flight amps for any horn system.

Eventually l will run X.8 or an F7 on the horns.

Jfets biased in the sweet spot further up the gain structure also has an impact.

You can obtain more details and resolving power at low levels without the desire to “push” the system harder for the micro dynamics.

Nyligen beställt ett stereosystem med stor rabatt med hjälp av webbplatsen https://promocodius.com/se/butiker/d...home-rabattkod

De fleste leser ikke Svensk her.

Most people do not read Swedish here.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Bryston

I ran 4345 and 4435 with a Bryston 3BST ..... and was more than happy .... then I moved to tubes and now run my TAD 2404 with a Aleph 30 DIY amp - I cant imagine changing this combination .

I'm glad I took the advice from Ian and Guido to give class A a chance .

Richard

I also use a small Aleph for the high.

No noise and sounds good.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Hi Mortron,

The initial and important question was: "I have a few 3B NRB Bryston amps that need an overhaul and am wondering if its worth the investment." Why pay is my question?

A few years ago I was reading a long interview with a fellow being VP at Bryston (can't remember his name, maybe Russell something). In the course of the interview he mentioned Bryston had never charged to fix/repair their stuff, even when out of warranty... I was amazed by this. I looked quickly to find the interview in my stuff and couldn't find it, naturally... when you need it.

However, looking again at Bryston's web site (FAQ link at the bottom of home page) I found the following which confirms what I read:

"We used to offer a 3-year warranty, but we realized that our products were still performing well within specifications, even after 18 years. So, in 1990 we decided to extend the analog warranty to 20 years (as an aside, from 1976 to 1990 we never charged for a repair even though the equipment was well outside the then stated 3 year warranty). The 20-year warranty was retroactive to all our previous customers as well.

With digital products we are currently limiting the warranty to 5 years because we do not have a long history with the technology. This will probably be extended, if all goes as planned."

In 2006 Bryston added a small twist (i.e. the authorized dealer requirement), to deny free servicing for units purchased on grey market:

"As of 2006-02-22 Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 or higher (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service. The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston."

Not a big deal though since its still a 20 year warranty, retroactive and transferable, all you need is a copy of the original bill-of-sale. My understanding from the interview is if the unit is "legit" (i.e. initially bought from an authorized dealer and copy of invoice available), then they would service it at no charge regardless of time... Worth checking. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information