Has anyone here had any experience with the Altec N-3000-E "dividing network" which comes with the 601-8D Duplex speaker?

I have recently had occasion to get inside of one. Since the Duplex speaker is actually a separate woofer and tweeter mounted coaxially, I had always assumed the N-3000-E was a two-way low-pass/high-pass filter network, crossing over at 3KHZ. Turns out, it's not. It's a 3KHZ high-pass filter with a 10db level control, all for the tweeter. The woofer is just wired straight through to the network input, basically connecting it directly to the amp. There is no low-pass filter to roll off the woofer's output above 3 KHZ. And this woofer has a significant output above 3KHZ.

I've got four of these speakers, and I'd always wondered why they sounded so mid-rangy. If any other 601-8D owners have wondered the same thing, now you know. That'll teach me not to read "crossover" when I see the words "dividing network". It's a fine print thing, I guess. Or maybe a reading comprehension thing.

One other issue: If the wiring diagram shown on the network's casing is followed judiciously, the tweeter will be wired out of phase with the woofer. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Btw, does anyone know a good place in Southern California where they can fix a blown 601-8D tweeter? I checked Speaker Repair Pros, but they don't show the tweeter in their repair list. (They can recone the woofer, but I didn't fry that part.)

Many thanx to all.