Thread: What to do with 2241H's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to do with 2241H's

So one evening after a nice margarita and in a moment of idle boredom, I bought a pair of used JBL 2241H's off the interwebz. It was so impulsive, I was thinking 2245's and didn't notice the single digit was off. My thought was to build some house shaking 2-ways with large horn up top. Upon unboxing them in my living room, not only did I realize I goofed on the model, but also just how HOOGE 18" woofers are. I have 240Ti's as my main speakers, and often have 2-3 pair arrayed for comparing, but these 18's absolutely dwarf the LE14's.

What really killed the project is that JBL recommends a 10 CF enclosure for these, and I know I've been lucky so far but the wife will never approve that size cabinet as a permanent fixture in the living room. So they've been hibernating in the basement for 2 years.

My question is: can I stuff these into smaller enclosures as a compromise? I know it would not be optimum, but using the woofers would seem to be better than not using them. At 98 dB efficiency, they would seem to be a perfect mate to a CD and horn, and would move a heck load of air.

Thanks for any suggestions and input
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information