Hi DT,

RE: "I agree that ½ cubic foot out of 5 is not going to be much difference either way." But it does make a big difference in favor of the vented box re better effiency and 15 hz lower bass with no sweat here.

That someone has a preference towards the sealed box low-frequency sound I accept that, all tastes are in nature and that's fine. Its 12 db/oct LF roll-off is a plus and it doesn't "unload" driver like vented box does below Fb.

I prefer the higher efficiency, lower F3 and reduced distortion of the vented box. I see these aspects as being more important in high level sound reproduction though.

RE: " Added thought; 12dB boost at 35Hz for the sealed enclosure is flat down to 35Hz, not shabby."

I'm not sure you realize what this implies.

According to Eargle's nomograph for determining power ratios in decibels, a 12 db boost requires 15-16 times the power vs one watt. If one had planned on using or uses say 100 watts before EQ (well within the limits of 2241H), then with a 12 db boost applied the power requirement becomes 1,500 - 1,600 W! (10 db 10 X).

Assuming one has an amp with 1.5-1.6 kw capability, the use of such power at 35 hz on this driver in a sealed box may result in seeing the cone just "flying off" the driver's frame?

This is just to show that a 12 db boost is a tall order for an amp and more so for the driver. It gets worst faster on sealed box side because of constantly increasing LF distortion as power increases.

In a vented box, because of the significant cone travel reduction at Fb (35 hz here), the driver would accept much more power with 35 hz EQ, than a sealed box would, also with much less LF distortion. Vent's bonus.

Maybe this compromise for you: Vent plugged at low levels for sealed box sound and unplugged at high levels sound reproduction for vented box benefits? Regards,

Richard