Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My JBL XPL200A's

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    DOUBLE WHAT?

I was just in SoCal yesterday with my pickup, and I would have given you $100 cash, no questions asked!

Seriously, though, think twice about what you're doing. You might be able to get a nice price for them, but it's unlikely you'll be able to get something better for the $$$ you receive. If you're just selling them for the $$$ and not to replace them, that money will soon be gone and so will your speakers.

Of course, many of us have been in situations where we needed $$$ more than hi-fi gear, so if it's an emergency sale, we're hoping for the best outcome. I can't put a market price on them because I don't think I could ever sell mine.
    Please see the private message,thanks.

Regards

Martin
    46 lover

The Revel C32 is less than 8.5 inches high. I use it with my LSR 32's for watching movies. You could make the xpl140's your rears.

There's one in cherry now at Audiogon.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The Revel C32 is less than 8.5 inches high. I use it with my LSR 32's for watching movies. You could make the xpl140's your rears.

There's one in cherry now at Audiogon.
    Very good suggestion
    46 lover

O-rings?

I looked, didn't find any solutions... Any fixes for mid and tweet grill o-rings?

Super glue will bond Buna-N o-ring material very well. Buy some bulk o-ring cord of the diameter needed (link has selection menu for cross section size) and cut/glue to length.

There are standard o-ring sizes, but the ones made from smaller cord don't get very large OD-wise.

https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-size-chart-as568.htm

I think the ones behind some of the driver mounting flanges were silicone. You can glue silicone o-ring cord with RTV silicone - it's not super strong, but it'd hold together good enough to get the driver mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I think the ones behind some of the driver mounting flanges were silicone. You can glue silicone o-ring cord with RTV silicone - it's not super strong, but it'd hold together good enough to get the driver mounted.
    A better glue for silicone rubber is Loctite 414. There is a surface prep you can brush on prior to using the 414 that increases the bond strength. I don't remember the model number, but if you need to glue silicone, contact Loctite tech support and they can give you the part number. These are industrial products and not hardware store items, but you can get them through distributors like RS Hughes.

Widget

Man do they sound great

Those XPL140's I picked up for my project really do sound great! Almost too good to waste on this project - A L M O S T. Going to make a badass center speaker.

Thoughts

Does any one buy XPL140a cabinets and grill cloths? Seems a shame to waste...

Paul

JMHO but you should really try to find another alternative. It's a shame to take a rare and perfectly good pair of speakers and gut them. At the very least keep the cabinets until you know for sure the center channel works out so if it doesn't the pair remains intact. Use them for rears and find a center that works with the XPL-200'S

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by coshesey View Post
    Does any one buy XPL140a cabinets and grill cloths? Seems a shame to waste...

Paul
    Post them in For Sale, with pictures. If anyone's going to buy them, this is the place I have a pair of XPL-140's with bad cabinets, I just don't know if I like them enough to do anything to improve them
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

XPL 140 used as center channel.

A 2245H in a 226L box has been added together with a minidsp 10x10. for subwoofer and bi amping of the XPL200.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Currently: L300, C40 Harkness (030 Load), 4301B

Mystery crossovers in XPL140 or 140A

I wanted to make charge coupled crossovers for my XPL140s. I built them according to the XPL140A schematic. I was gonna pull the capacitors and wire the charge couple capacitors in their place. When I got into the JBL crossovers, everything was differnt from the 140A schematic. Different resistor and capacitor values and components in different places to name a few. Maybe they are XPL140s and not 140As? I've looked far and wide for a different schematic and contacted JBL. It's impossable to find any other schematic for this speaker. i've looked around on this site. I'm getting nowhere. I've got a bunch of parts that I can't do anything with if I can't find a good schematic. Any ideas?

Sorry, as far as I know the schematics for the first versions are not online anywhere. I asked here years ago. Maybe build your own XPL140A crossovers from scratch? It might be better to keep your original crossovers unmodified anyway. I was interested enough back in 2006 to measure the difference and make a graph to show the response. But I only had XPL200 to measure. Looking at the chart, I think that they mainly wanted to lower the crossover between the tweeter and midrange to suppress the midrange's ringing better.

Name:  cross2.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  54.2 KB

Mystery crossovers in XPL 140s

Thanks for responding. I wondered if these could be some early version. I suppose they are, but there's no way to get any info on these things. I have no problem building the charge coupled portion of the crossover, but I lack the skills to design and build the rest. I'm spinning my wheels right now.

Thread Information