Thread: 2405H purchased for my L200's - are these things legit?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2405H purchased for my L200's - are these things legit?

Hello everyone,

I last posted about cutting some holes in my L200 cabinets for 2405h slot tweeters. You all had some great input but life got in the way and I simply didn't have time to move forward with it. I also had some difficulty finding a clean pair of drivers. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought what appeared to be a really clean pair of 2405h with original diaphragms! A holiday gift to myself.

They just arrived today. Upon unwrapping the first one, I noticed that it smelled like fairly fresh spray paint. It was easily flaking off. No big deal, but not quite as "mint" as they appeared in the pics and some small paint chips fell into the slot and could be seen on the diaphragm. When I unwrapped the second one, one of the pieces to the left and right of the phase plug (half-moon shaped piece) fell out in my hand. It had glue behind it, looked like Loctite 401, stuck to both the horn and the piece itself. I did multiple searches and could not find a 2405h with one of these pieces removed or missing. Seller told me to glue it back in (which I did), but something seemed a little off about that solution since I noticed paint overspray on the back of that piece and the horn behind it when it was removed. The piece also had a notch on the back of it, as though it was supposed to be resting on something to align it and hold it in place when mounted (with that piece out, the entire horn assembly was smooth, like a 2402).

I decided to take the magnet off and check the diaphragm as neither phase plug was completely parallel with the openings. I found that the alignment pins on the magnet were not present. The holes to receive them are on the horn assembly, but no pins to go into them. This has me concerned that the diaphragm is not aligned correctly. On a more serious note, I'm worried that the horns themselves might be 2402's with 2405 pieces glued in place - that might be just me being paranoid, it just seemed odd that those things would come off so easily and they were packed extremely well.

I'm willing to overlook the paint job and gluing/adjustment even though I paid good money for these, it is worth it just to be done with them. However, if they're miss-matched parts or not authentic, I'm not sure I want to proceed using them in this build. I've attached a couple of pictures for reference and can take more if that would help.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Happy holidays!

Nik
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information