Thread: BSS Soundweb - AD/DA

BSS Soundweb - AD/DA

I'm curious to some hands-on comparison between the BSS Soundwebs and other AD/DAs. I am in a place where I am really satisfied with my setup (M2s with BSS Soundweb for DSP) but as the upgrade journet is indeed fun, I'm looking into where improvements could be made. The specs on the BSS are not "state of the art" regarding the AD/DA performance, so I was looking into components like Lynx Aurora(n) or other AD/DAs which can be digitally connected to the BSS so it still handles the DSP.

Am I chasing my tale here? If you have any experience with comparing the BSS A/D and D/A with something else, then please share.

I have the exact same thoughts. I will test som other dac later. But I do not expect any large improvements. More of the "peace of mind" thing.

I have zero data to back this up, but I think stellar A to D and D to A conversion including their respective analog sections will provide a very real and audible improvement.

For example, I think most of us have heard examples of early CDs that sound compressed, flat, and lifeless. Poor quality A to D is part of this. On the other end comparing various CD playback schemes, they definitely sound different with higher quality D to A conversion usually sounding more open, effortless, with a deeper soundstage and more extended yet less brittle sounding highs.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I have zero data to back this up, but I think stellar A to D and D to A conversion including their respective analog sections will provide a very real and audible improvement.

For example, I think most of us have heard examples of early CDs that sound compressed, flat, and lifeless. Poor quality A to D is part of this. On the other end comparing various CD playback schemes, they definitely sound different with higher quality D to A conversion usually sounding more open, effortless, with a deeper soundstage and more extended yet less brittle sounding highs.

Widget
    I do agree. But how stellar are the BSS units in this area? Will there be an audible gain by going with a Lynx Aurora(x) which is a very proven unit for studios for example.

Currently I am actually using a DBX TR1616 unit for the AD/DA conversion in my setup (https://dbxpro.com/en/products/tr1616). Just haven't tested the difference yet so curious if others had. The max input level on the DBX is really low, so I am looking into replacing it or revert to standard BSS input/outputs.

Specs for both shown below. Converters like Lynx and Benchmark have even better specs.

BSS Specs:
    Name:  BSS Specs.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  107.4 KB

DBX Specs
    Name:  DBX Specs.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  64.9 KB

It might be less expensive overall and subjectively better if you built a complete digital signal path.

I don’t recall what power amps you are using but the M2 specified Crown power amplifiers can accept digital inputs.

Looking at the source it’s not difficult to arrange a very good server for downloading or streaming from high quality providers. In this scenario A/D and D/A conversion is not required. The M2 was designed around digital loudspeaker management so why fight it?

I have recently heard both DSD and other formats from a HD and providers such as Tidal and that would be an approach l would consider. IMHO any A/D conversation of a high quality analogue vinyl source is completely counter initiative to the idea of using analogue. The same point applies to analogue reel to reel masters which are amazing but quite expensive and then the cost of the hardware.

So l would be re thinking the source of you are currently using analogue.

Edit https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/sdp-75.html

This may be costly but you will most likely find separate stellar AD and DA converters more expensive with the law of diminishing returns more apparent than a digital front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It might be less expensive overall and subjectively better if you built a complete digital signal path.

I don’t recall what power amps you are using but the M2 specified Crown power amplifiers can accept digital inputs.

Looking at the source it’s not difficult to arrange a very good server for downloading or streaming from high quality providers. In this scenario A/D and D/A conversion is not required. The M2 was designed around digital loudspeaker management so why fight it?

I have recently heard both DSD and other formats from a HD and providers such as Tidal and that would be an approach l would consider. IMHO any A/D conversation of a high quality analogue vinyl source is completely counter initiative to the idea of using analogue. The same point applies to analogue reel to reel masters which are amazing but quite expensive and then the cost of the hardware.

So l would be re thinking the source of you are currently using analogue.
    No matter what, you will have a digital -> analog conversion in the amp? By using the iTech or DCi you are using the DSP in these amps. My question was how much could be won by using BSS, stallar AD/DC and then into amps without DSP.

Edit: Im using M2 in a home theater where signal from processor is analog No matter what (cant afford Trinnov)

Thread Information