Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Heil with a JBL woofer

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Impulse response comparison. The wires are flipped, confirmedAttachment 85737!
    wired them "correctly" just now and did some listening. so much more focused than before.

Overall, the sound of the Heil is a bit... not sure how to describe it, maybe "grainy"? Not clean and smooth like a metal dome tweeter, but has a certain texture to it.

some years back I picked up a pair of FORTUNA towers in crappy shape. That was an ESS bargain label.

Up on top were these ..worked great.

sold on eBay to a buyer in HK. Fell off a pallet in their P.O. and were run over
    by a forklift.

sorry to see them end up that way ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Rob,

I came up with a new concept for the Heils that you may want to try. I've found that it increases the volume by ~0.5 (measured on a Quest 2900 Type 2 meter) and adds clarity and articulation. I attribute this to a reduction in sidewall and room interaction, and even saw some reduction of suck-out, but would love to see it swept to see where the differences lie.

Oh, the modification cost <$3.

Go to Michaels Crafts and get one of these triangular Eva "dowels" in 30MM. They are even on sale from the web price and mine were in the bargin bin for $1.47 each so I got two. You can also get them as half-rounds which would have a bit of a different effect on edge diffraction. Simple and cheap enough to try both. They call it foam, but it's really a very soft and pliable rubber-type product (Ethylene-vinyl acetate). I tried a sample and found the material to be totally compatible with Rustolium Ultra-coat satin black primer, even when saturated.

https://www.michaels.com/24in-eva-fo...uctsource=HPRV

You can also get them online, but pay shipping and they usually cost more. You can also get them on-line in black, for lots more $$$ (not at Michaels though). I painted mine with Rustolium Satin Black Primer/Paint and there is no prolem with compatability. They came out beautiful and are drying.

Because of the rubber gaskets on the bottom of the Heils, mine are 6-1/8" tall, but 6" will work for just the Heils and with a 24" long piece, you could do all four..., BUT,

It cuts very easily with a razor blade or very sharp knife. But I found it thicker than a single-edged razor blade could do in one pass, and working around the triangle, you don't get a perfect cut.

Easy enough. I bought two and cut them to 6-1/4" and used a disk sander to trim them to the exact length. Yes, you can easily sand this "rubber" on the wheel/belt to a perfectly smooth edge for the top and bottom.

And what does this gain us??? I measured the outter diagnol "surface of the Heil at ~40 MM. The wedges add an additional 30 MM or an additional 75% of the length (a bit less if considering the actual distance to the diaphragm). If we were to consider this as a horn, it could push the loading down well over half an octave in the affected range.

Note how the 30MM span perfectly aligns with the "flats" and carries the angle to within 1 degree. It looks like something ESS should have offered to complete the look, if nothing else, though it does add 1" of protrusion. (Ethyl Merman also had protrusions.)

Hello Toddalin

I missed this. OK why not have to wait till I get them up and running again. They have been temporally "retired" I didn't realize that they used a 60 degree angle on the "wings". Good to know!

Thanks Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I had initially figured 60 degrees based on the acoustic wedge foam. But that actually has 10 wedges per 30 centimeters, so is a bit off (wider than) of 60 degrees

Actually, turns out that when you fit the wedge piece, the angle on the Heil is a bit wider than 60 degrees, and the triangle's angle the sound in (rather than out) a few degrees focusing it in the sweet spot. As I noted, it added ~0.5 dB. But, I think that in doing so, it also produces a sound that more approximates the JBL horns' presence (without the problems) and adds even more impact than was there. I use the L300s as reference and those features (voicing) that I like I try to emulate, as well as vice versa. I think this provides some of the positive qualities.

Certainly gives them a "finished" look.

When I went back to Michaels, they had further dropped the price to $1 each so I bought another as well as a couple half rounds. I figured that I could use some double sided tape and tape the cut pieces to a flat bar, then "lay it back" and run it though the mill to get the exact angle keeping the full 30MM of length.

I may also take the half round and lay back the inner edge to that of the horn and apply these removing the front "flats" and rounding out the curve. This may help dispersion (not a concern) and imaging (always a concern).

Isn't it worth ~$1-2 just to try?

Lt. Hurwitz has never looked so good!

Thread Information