Thread: After market diaphragms, a good deal or not?

After market diaphragms, a good deal or not?

Need to pick up an 8 ohm diaphragm for a JBL 2441 driver. A friend kindly lent me a pair with lens to try out in my system but when I went to check ohmage one came in at 7.6 and the other at 14.7. Oddly the diaphragm was labeled as being 16 ohm. Go figure must have been a Friday at Radian.

Have looked around for a single 8 ohm but the prices are all over the place.

Are the after market ones coming out of China any good? $45 US for a pair seems too good to be true but they sure look great. Anyone have experience with these after market units?

Thanks

Larry

When the genuine parts are so reasonable, why bother with aftermarket?
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...441-diaphragm/

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    Need to pick up an 8 ohm diaphragm for a JBL 2441 driver. A friend kindly lent me a pair with lens to try out in my system but when I went to check ohmage one came in at 7.6 and the other at 14.7. Oddly the diaphragm was labeled as being 16 ohm. Go figure must have been a Friday at Radian.

Have looked around for a single 8 ohm but the prices are all over the place.

Are the after market ones coming out of China any good? $45 US for a pair seems too good to be true but they sure look great. Anyone have experience with these after market units?

Thanks

Larry

I'm pretty confident that JBL never made a 4" aluminum-domed diaphragm ( yes the titanium variety came in 8 ohms and has a low dcr of about 4-5 ohms > and will have a green dot of nail polish on the diaphragms positive connector ) .

All bona-fide JBL 2441's are labeled 16 ohm.

JBL's ( labeled 16 ohm ) large diaphragm drivers typically have a DCR that measures around 8-9 ohms ( IME ) and will have a red dot of nail polish on the frams positive connector.

Your diaphragm that measures 14.7 is either a cooked JBL diaphragm or it's an aftermarket.

In all my years at this forum no-one has ever provided any proof that buying a Chinese after-market diaphragm was a smart move ( JBL or Radian are the only 2 choices I would recommend) .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I'm pretty confident that JBL never made a 4" aluminum domed diaphragm ( yes the titanium variety came in 8 ohms and has a low dcr of about 4-5 ohms > and will have a green dot of nail polish on the diaphragms positive connector ) .

All bona-fide JBL 2441's are labeled 16 ohm.

JBL's ( labeled 16 ohm ) large diaphragm drivers typically have a DCR that measures around 8-9 ohms ( IME ) and will have a red dot of nail polish on the frams positive connector.

Your diaphragm that measures 14.7 is either a cooked JBL diaphragm or it's an aftermarket.

In all my years at this forum no-one has ever provided any proof that buying a Chinese after-market diaphragm was a smart move ( JBL or Radian are the only 2 choices I would recommend) .

+1. Replaced old 375 (original) diaphragms a year or so ago with 2441. Excellent - would never really consider anything else.

Thread Information