Thread: what would be the best way to store extra raw drivers

what would be the best way to store extra raw drivers

I have a few extra raw drivers mostly boxed, 2235, 2121, le5, d123
    What is the best position to store them?
    Cone up
    cone down ( I am guessing not as the spiders could extend out)
    sideways?

Hi Pioneer,

Every cone speaker I purchased new up to now, from various manufacturers, came in a box with cone facing down. These can sit on a maker's warehouse shelf or retailer's shelf for quite some time in that position. I haven't got one with a problem yet.

So I assume manufacturers don't put too much importance on this issue of spider/surround extention when cone faces down. I tend to think its the lesser of a few evils.

Though sideways would seem like an appealing solution, in practice it could turn out to be a bad idea if it accidentally falls down (cone drivers usually being heavier at the rear) or if a heavy driver's steel frame pierces the box.

Seems more important to me to store them at room temperature in a place with low humidity i.e. relatively dry location so that the cones don't "absorb" humidity and the frames don't show traces of rust as seen on some used drivers on this site. As for "mostly boxed", I suggest these should all be in a box for storage to protect them, "stupid" accidents always happen (Murphy's law).

If I have to store some on the floor then I put a couple of 2X3" or 2X4" pieces flat under the boxes so these don't touch the floor and I avoid stacking them high, just a pair in each pile. Does take more space though. Regards,

Richard

Cone lying horizontal whether facing up or down, make sure driver is packed so that you can flip the box over at regular intervals without damaging the cone. Recent new JBL woofers I have bought have been packaged this way.

Cone vertical and driver mounted as if in a small wooden enclosure rotate 90 degrees at regular intervals.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information