Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Source for genuine 052Ti

  1. #1
    Senior Member SteveJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    129

    Source for genuine 052Ti

    One of the tweeters in my 4412a's is damaged, the diaphragm is pushed in.

    Where can I find a genuine replacement? It looks as though the 052Ti has been discontinued.

    Thanks!!

    Name:  052Ti crushed diaphragm.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  200.2 KB

  2. #2
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJewels View Post
    One of the tweeters in my 4412a's is damaged, the diaphragm is pushed in.

    Where can I find a genuine replacement? It looks as though the 052Ti has been discontinued.

    Thanks!!

    Name:  052Ti crushed diaphragm.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  200.2 KB
    It is very hard to get a new 052Ti,try to repair it by yourself
    46 lover

  3. #3
    RIP 2021 SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in "managed decline"
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    It is very hard to get a new 052Ti,try to repair it by yourself
    not to be snarky, ...

    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The 4412 & 4412A have different HF's. Can only comment on the models that I owned. 4412 has 035Ti tweeter vs. 4412A has 052Ti. I believe the 052 may be hard to replace. The 035 was used in many models and are available.
    But, back to trying to be helpful ...in a worst case scenario, if unable to find a replacement 052Ti , then there are a few options .... live with the mashed one OR attempt to push it out from the inside (there is a good thread around here on how to do that , but focused on an 044Ti .. tho procedure is the same)

    I tried google and found some, tho outdated & gone

    $195/pr shipped ==>> https://reverb.com/item/5003068-jbl-...4412a-and-more

    not sure what this is, but listed as an 052 replacement

    https://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-74...dditional-info

    can't get the 4412a tech sheet to open, so not sure what JBL recommends as a replacement if 052 not available. . Phil has a pair, mebbe he knows ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

  4. #4
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    not to be snarky, ...



    But, back to trying to be helpful ...in a worst case scenario, if unable to find a replacement 052Ti , then there are a few options .... live with the mashed one OR attempt to push it out from the inside (there is a good thread around here on how to do that , but focused on an 044Ti .. tho procedure is the same)

    I tried google and found some, tho outdated & gone

    $195/pr shipped ==>> https://reverb.com/item/5003068-jbl-...4412a-and-more

    not sure what this is, but listed as an 052 replacement

    https://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-74...dditional-info

    can't get the 4412a tech sheet to open, so not sure what JBL recommends as a replacement if 052 not available. . Phil has a pair, mebbe he knows ??
    Not snarky at allit is very common that tweeters have been pushed in,it does not have much influence of the sound,just try to fix it
    46 lover

  5. #5
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Phil has a pair, mebbe he knows ??
    You're probably going to be limited to used from Ebay or other sources. Hate to say it but you may also find that it's just as cheap and perhaps easier to simply purchase a pair of 4408A and robbing the parts!

    The copy of a 135A offered by Midwest, and others, could be an alternative but use two. There's a refurbished one with new 052 diaphragm on ebay for under $200. There's also a pair of 4408A on Ebay for $270 or-best-offer.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  6. #6
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,278
    Name:  052 dia.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  90.5 KB

    This is the back of the OEM diaphragm which is what you will see if you follow these
    simple steps

    1 Remove the tweet from the cabinet 4 screws around the edge

    2 Once you have that free of the cab , disconnect the leads. Excercise care here , no mad tugging. Use needle nose pliers if you have them.

    3 Remove the four screws that are close to the diaphragm. Be careful with whatever tool you use here as the magnetic field can pull tools towards the dia. If you can get non magnetic tools that would be better.

    4 Older iterations of this tweet used double stick tape or film to attatch the dia to the magnet but judging by the paper gasket in the pic there will be no resistance to mag coming away

    5 Take care as you extract the magnet , try to lift it off as vertically as you can to avoid damaging the coil

    6 Now you have the dia free find yourself a roll of Duct tape and use it as a rest for the dia with the coil facing up

    7 Now here's the tricky bit , find yourself a girl with delicate fingers and at least one trimmed nail and have her GENTLY reform the original shape. If you are lucky it will mostly pop out like some dings on car bodies so . Any little wrinkles can be worked
    away by gentle use of a rounded over wooden dowel.
    Take care not to foul the coil.

    8 Assuming you have successfully got the dia back in something like the correct shape you can now set about re fitting the magnet. The mag locates centrally held by the small lugs that I have highlighted. Again go as vertically as poss as you locate the two parts. Once it sits in place you are golden. Remember to align things so that the assembly screws line up with the holes in the mag.

    I'm marginally concerned about the little edge of the dia (green arrow ) but it should be of no concern.

    You may find a little foam bung under the dia. Lets see a pic of that

    15 mins for the whole job.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Name:  052 dia.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  90.5 KB

    This is the back of the OEM diaphragm which is what you will see if you follow these
    simple steps

    1 Remove the tweet from the cabinet 4 screws around the edge

    2 Once you have that free of the cab , disconnect the leads. Excercise care here , no mad tugging. Use needle nose pliers if you have them.

    3 Remove the four screws that are close to the diaphragm. Be careful with whatever tool you use here as the magnetic field can pull tools towards the dia. If you can get non magnetic tools that would be better.

    4 Older iterations of this tweet used double stick tape or film to attatch the dia to the magnet but judging by the paper gasket in the pic there will be no resistance to mag coming away

    5 Take care as you extract the magnet , try to lift it off as vertically as you can to avoid damaging the coil

    6 Now you have the dia free find yourself a roll of Duct tape and use it as a rest for the dia with the coil facing up

    7 Now here's the tricky bit , find yourself a girl with delicate fingers and at least one trimmed nail and have her GENTLY reform the original shape. If you are lucky it will mostly pop out like some dings on car bodies so . Any little wrinkles can be worked
    away by gentle use of a rounded over wooden dowel.
    Take care not to foul the coil.

    8 Assuming you have successfully got the dia back in something like the correct shape you can now set about re fitting the magnet. The mag locates centrally held by the small lugs that I have highlighted. Again go as vertically as poss as you locate the two parts. Once it sits in place you are golden. Remember to align things so that the assembly screws line up with the holes in the mag.

    I'm marginally concerned about the little edge of the dia (green arrow ) but it should be of no concern.

    You may find a little foam bung under the dia. Lets see a pic of that

    15 mins for the whole job.
    Great!you made it so clear and exercisable
    46 lover

  8. #8
    RIP 2021 SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in "managed decline"
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    7 Now here's the tricky bit , find yourself a girl with delicate fingers and at least one trimmed nail and have her GENTLY reform the original shape. If you are lucky it will mostly pop out like some dings on car bodies so . Any little wrinkles can be worked away by gentle use of a rounded over wooden dowel.
    Take care not to foul the coil.
    I like your solution better than what I did ... just the butt of a pencil with a good eraser to reshape it.

    Have done these 3 or 4 times on 044ti's , MOSTLY with good result. On one tho, the titanium was stuck to the foam gooey mess ..even tho I gently pulled it away, still the titanium dia cracked.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

  9. #9
    RIP 2021 SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in "managed decline"
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    not sure what this is, but listed as an 052 replacement

    https://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-74...dditional-info

    can't get the 4412a tech sheet to open, so not sure what JBL recommends as a replacement if 052 not available. . Phil has a pair, mebbe he knows ??
    I grabbed the JBL sheet from Googles cache ..

    Technical Manual
    JBL4412A L,R
    SPECIFICATIONS
    STUDIO
    MONITOR
    Speaker Hi
    Freq 052TI
    Diaph Repl
    D8R052TI
    Repl Unit
    74856X

    which is this one .. https://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-74...dditional-info

    $179.99 free shipping , looks like a single ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

  10. #10
    Senior Member SteveJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    129
    I found a used 052 Ti, actually two, and have ordered them.

    Once they arrive I will try them out to see if any combination is better than any other.

    Once I have my 4412a's put back together I will find a diaphragm (If there is such an animal.) and try my hand at replacing the one that is pushed in. If I am going to go to the trouble of tearing the tweeter apart I might as well just replace the diaphragm and have another spare.

    That brings me to the next question. Is there;

    A genuine JBL replacement diaphragm available?

    Something better?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    annapolis, md usa
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ....which is this one .. https://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-74...dditional-info

    $179.99 free shipping , looks like a single ??
    Good catch. Nice to know that you can still get a new replacement driver instead of another (potentially worn out) used one.

  12. #12
    RIP 2021 SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in "managed decline"
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    ... instead of another (potentially worn out) used one.
    I was wondering that too and about to quizz GRUMPY , since he seems to have experience with this model.

    "does the 052Ti have the same rotting foam problem as the 044 and 035"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

  13. #13
    Senior Member SteveJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    129
    I received a very fair refund from the seller and ordered two used 052Ti's. That should get me up and running and a spare to boot.

    Thanks for the posts in this thread regarding pushing the diaphragm out. I don't think I am going to try that but it has given me encouragement to try to replace the diaphragm. Are either genuine diaphragms available? Or perhaps an equivalent or superior substitute as in Truextent diaphragms for JBL CD's?

  14. #14
    Senior Member SteveJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    129
    I replaced the tweeter with one that I bought from Jammin Jersey. Night and day difference in SQ, HF output and dispersion.

    I wanted to follow up in case someone happened along this thread later. I tried popping out the pushed in diaphragm. I was able to pop it out, but there are still smaller indentations, like the dimples on a golf ball.

    I reread this thread. Since I have a fully functional tweeter now I can work the damaged one and if I damage it, no great loss, I am going to try further to smooth it and make some measurements.

    I would appreciate recommendations on mics to use to make the measurements. I am partial to Audio-Technica mics like the AT4050. Is that the right type of mic to make comparative speaker measurements? I have some of that series laying around somewhere.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 052Ti vs 053Ti
    By Malefoda in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM
  2. JBL tweeter 052TI a replacement for discontinued JBL tweeters ?
    By jan_slagman in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 07:12 AM
  3. JBL 104H-2 & 052Ti
    By couguarek in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •