Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M2 residential amplifier choices???

I used an SDA-4600 amp for awhile with my M2's, but didn't care for the elevated hiss I heard in my system. That in conjunction with the fan noise made me choose the AB class amp route.

I have eliminated the SDEC-3500 fan noise by placing a 200mm pancake fan on top of it. I can't hear it at my listening position which is 4 feet from the unit.

One option for you might be to rent any of the available Pro-Audio amplifiers from your local retailer. It is a very cheap option. It will give you an idea of how much power you require and how much fan noise you are willing to accept.

Don McRitchie is the site webmaster.

Send Don an email or Pm.

Here is an idea that you may wish to consider.

Do you remember the noise matrix printers made?
    Supplies sold them with Perspex sound barrier enclosures that had a hinged flap to access the print out.

Using a similar approach you could attempt to blimp the amp fan noise.

What comes to mind is either thick Perspex or 1 inch mdf enclosure with 6 inches clearance around all dimensions of the amps. All internal surfaces should be lined with sound barrier house insulation.

At the rear you have 2 six inch holes placed at either end. Install a 6 inch Papst low noise fan in each hole so the air flows in and out of the enclosure

Connect a 1 or 2 metre air con insulated duct pipe to each hole. The pipe will tend to act as a venturi increasing air flow while absorbing noise.

The cables can be fed through a cable gland and sealed with duct tape.

There is no guarantee this would be completely effective but if it did it would solve a headache among domestic M2 users. It might take some experimentation to come up with an effective design.

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    ... I typically listen at about 85db and rarely reach anything close to an average listening level of 100dB. I hate distracting noises around the house when I'm listening and in fact usually wait until everyone else is gone to sit down and listen...
    Then they (Crown I-TECH HD amp fans) will drive you crazy. While it’s true that the fans are variable speed, they always run and they have a habbit of randomly going full speed, only for a second and seemingly just for the fun of it.

When mine finally make it into my primary listening space, they will be in a vented cabinet to silence them.

On the flip side of this, I was told by an engineer at JBL that the I-TECH 5000HD was selected as the prime amplifier system for the M2 as the all in one design amp-DSP because it allowed a 6dB lower noise floor than any other option available to them. At the time I bought my 5000HD’s my careful digging in the Crown literature I found the 5000’s had a lower noise floor/higher dynamic range than the four channel 3500HD. That was years ago and without looking I don’t remember exactly where I found that.

The old ear to the tweeter test has never heard a quieter 1200+ Watt per channel amp. They are dynamic as hell too.

So that may be more than you asked but there is my solid reasoning for putting up they them.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I’ve placed my order and, thanks to this Forum’s members, I feel confident that I will in one way or another be able to tame the fan noise. I’ve settled on the DCi 4x1250 amp to power the M2s.

They are paid for and should be delivered early next week.... Christmas in November!!!

Hopefully you meant DCIN and not DCI without DSP

i have 2 of them and will be useing them for my subs.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Hopefully you meant DCIN and not DCI without DSP

i have 2 of them and will be useing them for my subs.
    Good catch. Yes the Network (n) version. Thanks for the clarification.

1audiohack: Apart from the fan noise are there other drawbacks with the itechs compared to for example the Levinson's? I have not done intensive A/B testing between amps but I often read people mentioning lack of 'air', resolution and smoothness (I hate hifi terms) on for example the itechs.

But I really like the idea of getting the amps which M2s are designed for and the Class I tech is also really interesting.

I auditioned a few amplifiers...the winner for me, in my room was the QSC DCA 2422. While not the 1200-watt power amp you are seeing, in my 16-foot deep room, it showed that is was more than sufficient to get the room up to over 105dBc from my listening position with any speaker or 108dBc in stereo. To use a larger amplifier, in my opinion was just going to be a waste of money. The DCA line is AB and H class (the 2422 is Class-H), which may not be high-brow enough for some but I think they sound pretty good. I auditioned them on the M2s.

The DCAs to have fans but they only spin on turn-on and when they are required to remove heat. Where I'm placing them, they won't be heard, even if the fans do turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    1audiohack:...Apart from the fan noise are there other drawbacks with the itechs compared to for example the Levinson's?...
    I wish I could say that I have been able to audition the Levenson's but I have not.

I don't have any "top tier" audiophile amps. I compared the I-TECH's to several other amps on my 4365's and while nothing I compared sounded decidedly better, they are just a tick different as most amps are. I thought the HF was about as good as my normal amps that are flat to over 40kHz and extend to 100k.

My SAE2400L, when it's working, has the most high end sparkle of any amp that I have, but I don't know if it is really flat. It has a bad habit of dropping burning embers out of the bottom of it on power down.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Got ‘Em!

Name:  DF4AC1EE-9684-40BF-89AE-DFDC3EB0903C.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  76.1 KB

Now to figure out how to load the M2 file on the 4x1250......

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Name:  DF4AC1EE-9684-40BF-89AE-DFDC3EB0903C.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  76.1 KB

Now to figure out how to load the M2 file on the 4x1250......
    Did you figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Did you figure it out?
    Not yet. I haven’t had time to sit down quietly and do it but Baldrick sent me what appears to be just the ticket for getting it loaded and playing tunes...

Nice!!!

Well the loading of the files was way easier than I expected especially with this help sheet and file provided by Baldrick. Here is the link to that thread.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...own-DCi-4x1250

The only steps not covered in the help sheet is to connect the network capable amp to your router via ethernet cable and turn it on. To protect from anything going wrong, I didn't connect amp to any input or output cables to my system. Before doing that, I wanted to make sure the files were loaded properly in the DSP. You'll need a PC to run the AudioArchitect software and it will wirelessly connect to the amp to install the files. Also, in this DSP you install files for each amp as opposed to the miniDSP style of installing one file for the entire audio spectrum. The miniDSP system seems more sophisticated in this respect, but that is a minor point.

Ok, back to the fan noise. That thing is way too loud for a home environment!!!! I'll have to figure something out there. Although the fan is in the back, the fan noise comes out the front of the amp through the openings.

Paul

Thread Information