Thread: JBL 4301B, L-19A, and Decade 16's - Jantzen Caps

JBL 4301B, L-19A, and Decade 16's - Jantzen Caps

Hi All,

It's been a few yeas that I've posted in the Lansing forum. Figured I'd log in and see if my account was still active.. It is

So the past few months, I've been getting into the 116/LE25 combo after restoring a set of the L26's. I was really happy with the sound stage on the 26's and that had me looking into the 4301B's. You all know how this starts out..

Now I have a set of the 16's, 4301B's, & the L-19A's. Trying to upload pictures... its been a while... I think I got one up.. If someone can explain how to add pix I can post pix of the crossover work and the sets.

Anyway, wanted to post about my findings.

I've rebuilt each crossover with Jantzen "Standard" Z-Caps, they are the step above the "Cross-Caps". I also decided to install Jantzen shunts. (Exact value shunts).

I've use a lot of the Dayton caps from PX for JBL builds... That will never happen again. Dayton has good gear, but for sound quality in JBL Jantzen is really a step up. It gave them that sparkle that some lack. Depth and color that was not there prior. Enough of an upgrade that my Gal instantly asked if I changed something in my system.

I used Zilch's math for running in parallel, and used the AudioCap Theta for bypass caps.

4.3 uF + 2.7 uF = 7 uF

15 uF + 1.5 uF = 16.5 uF

The 16's have a single 6uf crossover, with a .40mH inductor. New L-Pads were installed as well.

So after all that:

The sound review...

Out of the 3 sets in question, I think the Decade 16's will best both the 4301B and the 19A's. All 3 are fantastic sets but the 16's offer more in mid range to my ears. I think this is due to the single cap crossover on the 16's. They are all crossed over at 25kHz, but the cabinet volume really plays into the sound quality.

After I finished the crossovers the sound quality really opened up the top end, I was sure to get the exact value of 6uf or 7uf spec that JBL used. Really want to post pix of the value readings. The bottom end with the new shunts are dead accurate. The improvement was instantly heard.

I relocated the new inductors as well, JBL had them in the wrong configuration.

L-19:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...-l-19a.833078/

16:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...ade-16.832506/

4301B:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p....831724/page-2

I posted each build on AudioKarma.

The 4301B's are still in the process of work. I want to test a few other cap brands.

Has anyone on the site used the Jantzen caps for JBL? I can say for my use so far it was a big improvement. \

would love to know any tips or tricks others have used for any of the above stated sets.

Kind Regards,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hope this works...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information