Thread: Altec M500 Maestro 9815

Altec M500 Maestro 9815

Is the M500 just a pa speaker or is it closer to the Altec M19. There is some information on the web on the speaker but there seems to be varying opinions (both good and not good). The reason I ask is that a pair in good shape may be available to me. Has anyone heard this speaker? What is your opinion. Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Gwho

Quote Originally Posted by gwho View Post
    Is the M500 just a pa speaker or is it closer to the Altec M19. There is some information on the web on the speaker but there seems to be varying opinions (both good and not good). The reason I ask is that a pair in good shape may be available to me. Has anyone heard this speaker? What is your opinion. Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Gwho
    Greetings -

The ALTEC Lansing M500 was specifically designed for sound reinforcement, and should not be compared to a Model 19, which was designed specifically as a consumer HiFi speaker. If you're looking for a nice pair of efficient, high fidelity speakers for your stereo, the M500 may not be for you.

Just a note - Manta Ray horns have two inherent deign flaws that even Mark Ureda acknowledged in an article he wrote about the Manta Ray Constant Directivity series he and Cliff Henricksen designed.

1) By it's very nature, the Manta Ray horn design attenuates high frequency.

The M500 does have a push switch built into the dividing network that allows for "high frequency emphasis". Basically forcing more high frequency out of a horn that attenuates high frequency.

2) That the vertical and horizontal folds in the horn occur on two different plains, causes phase incoherency.

Frankly, I don't know how Manta Ray horns ever found their way into consumer HiFi, when the exponential and Tractrix horn flares have a decades long proven track record of high fidelity. For example, putting a Manta Ray horn on the 604 was a ridiculous move on ALTEC's part. Bill Hanuschak proved that when he designed a new horn for the 604-8H III.

What was needed in sound reinforcement for high frequency pattern control was a 'flash light'. Constant Directivity horns fill that design requirement.

HF

HF,

Thank you for the information. I got excited there for a moment when I read (in the forums) that this was the next gen M19 that was discontinued because Altec was sold. Most stated that the failing of this speaker was in the midrange/midbass where the 3154 woofer was not a 416. It seems that it was 50/50 on whether the Mantaray vs 811 horn was better with many siding on the Mantaray. You were correct in that I was looking for a Hifi, hi-efficiency, and hi dynamic range vintage speaker (at a reasonable cost). I would mostly be listening to rock/prog rock with these speakers. My other speakers do very well for classical/folk/jazz but for some reason sound very compressed/lifeless for rock/prog rock.

More than one article said the flaw for M500 and the M19 was the crossover. They stated that EQ and bi-amping greatly enhances the sound quality. Once again thank you for the help. You have me thinking.

Regards,
    gwho

Thread Information