Thread: L112 Woofer Replacement

L112 Woofer Replacement

Hey all!

Firstly, this is a wonderful forum. I've really enjoyed exploring it for the past few months.

I recently found a JBL SA660 at a garage sale. It seems entirely original parts-wise, and has sounded incredible with my BW and Cambridge speakers. It got me to thinking- what would this sound like with good JBL speakers?

I picked up a pair of L112 speakers recently for a great price and one caveat- the woofers were replaced with cheapish Yamahas- and they don't match. I knew going in that I would want to get original 128 woofers, and fortunately the price of the speakers in total would still be fairly low.

My question is about connecting 128H or 128H-1 woofers to my L112. I know there are several posts about this, but I'm seeking clarity as people on other forums have muddied the water.

If I get an original 128H in white with the earlier push JBL binding posts, it seems I connect the Solid Green wire to the Red binding post and the Green and Black wire to the Black binding post, as per the JBL L112 manual.

However, someone near me has 128H-1 woofers from a 4412 and the price is quite good. They also have been recently refoamed. The 4412 technical manual also seems to suggest Green to Red post and Green and Black to Black Post, though the binding terminals on the 128H-1 looks like a newer modern stereo design.

I have seen that these drivers are interchangeable. Is this true, and will I be fine simply connecting Solid Green from my L113 to the Red terminal, and Green and Black to the Black terminal?

In the JBLs the solid green is always "positive" and striped is "negative". I've always connected "+" to red and never had a reason to doubt that approach.

Connected everything up and the L112s sound fantastic. I have a hard time believing that the SA660 has only 60 watts of power per channel... I can't even take the volume knob that far past halfway.

^^^
    Given the right amp and room placement, they should sound better and better the harder you push them. They'll take 250W easily, I have run them on 1000W. I recommend high-res sources when you push them that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    ^^^
    Given the right amp and room placement, they should sound better and better the harder you push them. They'll take 250W easily, I have run them on 1000W. I recommend high-res sources when you push them that hard.
    I probably won't try them on anything else for a bit... Honestly I got them to compliment the SA660 since I love the character of that amplifier so much.

I'm sure sooner or later curiosity will get the better of me though!

Thread Information