Thread: Removing drivers from L150A

Removing drivers from L150A

I'm a relative novice at this, so I would appreciate some advice. I need to remove the woofers and PRs from my L150As to have them professionally refoamed. Is the best way to do this with the speaker enclosure resting on its backside, and lifting the speakers upward? Will they come out relatively easily?

It seems like I once read about a method using 2 X 2s on the floor with the enclosure facing downward, and giving it a good thunk on the backside until the speakers pop out...but I think that was with much smaller speakers and probably wouldn't work too well here.

Thanks!

They can be difficult or easy to remove depending on the status of the rubber gasket.

I'd be a little careful about thumping on the cabinets because you can dislodge the midrange cup.

But a gentle drop onto the floor can work to loosen a stuck driver. You can also leave the screws in a few turns to catch the driver when it comes loose. Basically you do whatever you need to do to get them out, but use common sense. Heat can also help loosen a stubborn driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    They can be difficult or easy to remove depending on the status of the rubber gasket.

I'd be a little careful about thumping on the cabinets because you can dislodge the midrange cup.

But a gentle drop onto the floor can work to loosen a stuck driver. You can also leave the screws in a few turns to catch the driver when it comes loose. Basically you do whatever you need to do to get them out, but use common sense. Heat can also help loosen a stubborn driver.
    OK, thank you. I think I'll try the face-up method first, carefully working my way around the drivers with a putty knife or plastic automotive trim removing tool. I'll have a hair dryer handy if necessary. If that doesn't work too well, I'll get a buddy and try the face-down "drop" method with loosened mounting screws. I just want to make sure I don't scar the baffles.

If I were you I would take the passive radiators out first as they are very light. Once they are out you can get a hand in the speakers and push the drivers up and out. I would do this with the drivers facing up if possible. Less chance of a whoops. PS look to see if the back of any of the drivers are visible through the reflex port another possible way to get a stuck driver loose

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

^^^
    No ports on a L150. Hence the PRs.

When I faced the same problem, the following method worked well for me:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  89.7 KB

A metal expansion bolt with a hook made it possible to carefully lever the driver upwards a little bit, tearing the rubber gasket from the wood.

Good luck!

No ports on a L150. Hence the PRs.
    So true! Lol

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPie View Post
    I need to remove the woofers and PRs from my L150As to have them professionally refoamed
    well, if they need to be refoamed anyway .... just strip all the bad foam away and now you'll have about a 1 inch gap between the cone and frame. Can just stick fingers in there (both hands) and give a big pull on the frame.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Some great ideas. Thanks to all.

Thread Information