Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Revisiting "Imaging"

Hi Clark,

Thank you for the quote.

Many years ago l recall hearing the top model Dunlavy loudspeaker which was a well regarded for its imaging.

Below is a link to a review which l think fleshes out the topic nicely with all the why’s and wherefore’s.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...un4/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Clark,

Thank you for the quote.

Many years ago l recall hearing the top model Dunlavy loudspeaker which was a well regarded for its imaging.

Below is a link to a review which l think fleshes out the topic nicely with all the why’s and wherefore’s.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...un4/index.html
    Thank you, Ian. Nice link.

To assert that the spatial presentation of a system is worth nothing, or of little value, if the sonic fidelity is poor should be a given. But even in ponderous tomes of audiophile reviews like this example, it is rarely said or even implied. Quite refreshing to encounter.

The review was also unusual in giving us a break from the (usually) endless examples of obscure snippets from the reviewer's vinyl collection; much of the observations were based on test discs, which are less subjective and more quantifiable, and relatable when addressing spatial and frequency phenomenon.

Recognizing the calculus of accuracy versus being forgiving of normally encountered recording shortcomings was also nicely presented. My Stax 007 headphones are as revealing as it gets but they do have a slight frequency reproduction anomaly which renders them completely forgiving. When playing anything short of MA Recordings discs, it is needed to keep the whole experience wonderful every time.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    There is a doco on that album

It was all experimental with a lot of improvisation
    I'm in love with a lot of Australian slang. I think my favorites are Hoons, chancer, and Shiela. (Hoodlums, a highly opportunistic person, and a pretty woman or any woman.)
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    Great discussion on imaging!

This is a fun test to try if you can: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php Btw, audiocheck is a great site period.....

......Listening to the LEDR recording with above configuration is accurately reproduced and fun to hear. I hope folks can listen to the LEDR recording.
    Hey Mitch, Thanks for the interesting links.

I did download the LEDR test files and tried them on my (designed for home) listening system (not my UREIs) and they sound just as they should. The up/down and behind the speaker L/R pan tracks are completely free of the loudspeakers (no sense the sound is coming from them). These tracks used with others like the Mapping the Soundstage track mentioned earlier can be very informative and help set-up of a home system. I actually made a small adjustment (about 2") to my speakers placement while listening to the LEDR tracks, and it improved focus of the soundstage reproduction of the Stereophile track and also live recorded music. Well done.

For anyone who has been following this thread and isn't really clear about what they should be listening for, the above mentioned test tracks may help in setting up your speakers (within their limitations) to provide a better soundstage, along with all the other necessities mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    For those interested in how the art is created, especially from a stereo imaging perspective, this is a great way to visualise it:
    The Art of Mixing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY....
    I'm still working my way through the videos, but thought it interesting the narrator made the point early on that his soffit mounted monitors can't reproduce an image wider than the speakers themselves, or higher (without manipulation), only lower than the speakers, because of the low frequency energy exciting the floor, as that has been part of this discussion. He did not mention whether they can image behind the cabinets, but I think it's safe to say not, only that he can create (or reproduce) a deep image between them.

Hi Jim,

Cool! The LEDR track is hard to reproduce properly, so kudos on getting your setup to work well with it. In addition to the LEDR test, there are a few more from audiocheck.net that are interesting: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotest...honicsound.php

I liked this example as well: http://buschmeier.org/bh/study/soundperception/

When I was still recording and mixing, we used the Haas effect to give mono recorded vocals and instruments some width and depth, in addition to delay and reverb. It has an interesting effect. You can hear it (over headphones) in this music production demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQOk...ature=youtu.be

While I enjoy large format studio monitors, I was not a big fan of soffit mounts in the control room. While the bass response is much improved, it was just weird looking up at the stereo image...

All good fun!

Cheers,
    Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I'll check out those other test files as well.

Your YouTube link appears to be the same fellow Ian pointed us to in post #58 demonstrating the Haas Effect by adding time delay while mixing.

Jim, cool! I hope you enjoy those. And yes it is indeed the same person Ian pointed out in his post. Great minds think alike...? Cheers!

Thread Information