Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.0 Northern Sumatra Quake

9.0 Northern Sumatra Quake

I guess it is my duty to keep us current on this stuff...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/

There's not yet any reports from the Seychelles - an archipelago most of which is only 10's of feet above sea level...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Largest Earthquakes Since 1900

We Californians should not be comforted by that sizable seismic gap between Central America and Anchorage...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 bgColor=#ffffff summary="List of the largest earthquakes in the World since 1900" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TH class=bodytext id=t1 scope=col></TH><TH class=bodytext id=t2 scope=col align=left>Location</TH><TH class=bodytext id=t3 scope=col>Date UTC</TH><TH class=bodytext id=t4 scope=col>Magnitude</TH><TH class=bodytext id=t5 colSpan=2>Coordinates</TH><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>1.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Chile</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1960 05 22 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>9.5</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>38.24 S</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>73.05 W</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>2.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Prince William Sound, Alaska</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1964 03 28 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>9.2</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>61.02 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>147.65 W</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>3.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Andreanof Islands, Alaska</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1957 03 09 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>9.1</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>51.56 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>175.39 W</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>4.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Kamchatka</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1952 11 04 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>9.0</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>52.76 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>160.06 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>4.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Off the West Coast of Northern Sumatra</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>2004 12 26 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>9.0</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>3.30 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>95.78 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>6.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Off the Coast of Ecuador</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1906 01 31 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.8</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>1.0 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>81.5 W</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>7.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Rat Islands, Alaska</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1965 02 04 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.7</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>51.21 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>178.50 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>8.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Assam - Tibet</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1950 08 15 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.6</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>28.5 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>96.5 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>9.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Kamchatka</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1923 02 03 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.5</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>54.0 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>161.0 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>10.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Banda Sea, Indonesia</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1938 02 01 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.5</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>5.05 S</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>131.62 E</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t1>11.</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t2>Kuril Islands</TD><TD class=bodytext headers=t3>1963 10 13 </TD><TD class=bodytext align=middle headers=t4>8.5</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>44.9 N</TD><TD class=bodytext align=right headers=t5>149.6 E</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    There's not yet any reports from the Seychelles - an archipelago most of which is only 10's of feet above sea level...
    They all climbed up here - highest point: Morne Seychellois 905 m

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    They all climbed up here - highest point: Morne Seychellois 905 m
    Yup, that's one of the granite ones. The coraline islands are of lesser topography...

Pretty place, boy-howdy...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    A place I've always wanted to visit.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/se.html

So seriously, no one has heard anything from them?

Yea, according to some wires. Not to infer anything necessarily - they are some distance from the epicenter and much less inhabited than the places making headlines. But they almost certainly suffered losses...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    A place I've always wanted to visit.

I met a local while flying to Tanzania once (by way of Nairobi...) - a flight attendant for BA who was a notable "difference", shall we say, from the BA norm - of remarkable beauty. Been a long time since I got a post card from her...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

tectonicals

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    I guess it is my duty to keep us current on this stuff...
    highly appreciated Bo,

seems that's one of the most active tectonical shifting areas there.....

BTW: hey north europeans..... this is the chance to cut the ropes of our tectonical plate, put some good powered outboaders on and let's drive to some warmer places in the south.

HP
    Last edited by Hofmannhp; 12-27-2004 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Alex Lancaster
    Drive Your outboard here, it is 22°C now at 1:15 PM, it will be a little difficult, We are at 1500 m altitude; In any event, Happy new Year to All!!!

Alex.

whej4312
    (APNewswire: 12/26/04) JBL Professional, of Northridge CA. Confirmed today that they were indeed testing a new 36" sub bass Radiator. Sources close to Harman Industries said that the new driver is capable of over 300db at 12hz. Harman insiders say they have no idea what happened.

A little humour in light of the Pacific & Asian crisis
    Mother nature once again has to prove who's incharge to us little people...

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Incredible

Jumped to 80,000+ plus dead from 23,000 yesterday. I have been to Indonesia and Borneo scuba diving. Having flown over hundreds of the small islands in those areas I would not be surprised to see the death toll rise to 200,000 plus just in Indonesia alone.

I'm delighted that some can find humour in this tragedy.

As a regular visitor to the area, I find myself anguished beyond belief. These lovely people, genuine and friendly, have lost everything. They have no savings, pensions, real estate portfolios. They had the sun, the sea and a joyous outlook on life.

I see Bush has pledged $35 million. Wanker! He spends that on a few bombs targetted at Mosques in far off shores. What does the war cost per day? The guy's priorites are screwed and I suspect more American citizens will have lost their life on the sands of Phi Phi, than to terrorism in the past 3 years.

If the US want to gain global respect, here's your leaders' chance. Please don't laugh at those less fortunate than yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    These lovely people, genuine and friendly.
    I would second that. One of the best trips I ever took. Definately a tragedy of huge proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    If the US want to gain global respect, here's your leaders' chance.
    "Pledge more money".

Got it.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "I see Bush has pledged $35 million. Wanker!"

I think he should take the $35 million and move the U.N. Headquarters to Jakarta.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

"If the US want to gain global respect, here's your leaders' chance."

There isn't a goddamn thing the U.S. has done, can do, or will ever be capable of doing, to appease the rest of the globe. As for this particular incident - I have no doubt the U.S. will, true to form, end up bearing the brunt of the financial cost. The contribution will then be forgotten, like everything else.

Should you ever have a moment again where you question American sense of purpose go here:

http://www.abmc.gov/ca.htm

Thread Information