Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Amazon Echo/Alexa ported to audio system

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    RE "oh yeah, not allowed to pump your own gas either..."

In wonderland of optional work wouldn't it be nice not having to fill up the car and let others do it? Hopefully gas station attendant doesn't himself believe in optional work religion cause then you're screwed, lol

Richard
    only 2 states in US where you cannot pump your own gas, other is New jersey

Only thing I know about Oregon was the lumberjacks TV program cutting trees on mountain sides and pulling logs with an aerial cable (Discovery channel?). Plus the Hoffman's search for gold there that went belly up on Gold Rush program (also Discovery channel). However, now can also add knowledge of "where work is optional", lol
    Richard
    I've never seen a lumberjack , tho our hipsters like to dress like them .. lots of posers here.
    I'm just usually in my cycling lycra & helmet when in public. Don't drive much , the Beemer just sits forlornly. Fortunately everything I need (very few exceptions) is within my biking radius.

OBTW: Todd Hoffman is a moron. His degree is in divinity. Really.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

RE "never seen a lumberjack... lots of posers here."

Really?? Come on man, Oregon and Maine are known for their forest industry, not only hipsters.

Canada's British Columbia Province, among others, has a huge forest products industry and ships big time to the US. About 2-3 years ago Oregon lumber producers filed a complaint in Washington against Canada for unfair competition. The US Feds put tariffs on Canadian lumber going to USA to "level the playing field". That hurt a lot your neighbor's forest industry though. But with the new and recent Free Trade Agreement (US, Mexico, Canada) the lumber tariffs matter was settled and we're best friends again! Nice.

Imagine, we could move in with you guys, with no conflitcs looming, and experience first hand "where work is optional", not even having to fill up your car! lol, I rest my case, promised.

Richard

P.S. Agree about Hoffman. The show's interest in my case isn't about gold, but rather more about logistics, i.e. how do you deploy things to make that work.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    only 2 states in US where you cannot pump your own gas, other is New jersey

I've never seen a lumberjack , tho our hipsters like to dress like them .. lots of posers here.
    I'm just usually in my cycling lycra & helmet when in public. Don't drive much , the Beemer just sits forlornly. Fortunately everything I need (very few exceptions) is within my biking radius.

OBTW: Todd Hoffman is a moron. His degree is in divinity. Really.
    On the first point, unless you're in the sticks... I remember when they passed that law and all the memes were flying around about Oregonians losing their minds having to pump gas. LOL I got quite an earful about it too last time I was through there on business and had to get gas for the rental car.

On the second point. Spot on. Moron. But, he's probably made bank on that made up reality show.

Really?? Come on man, Oregon and Maine are known for their forest industry, not only hipsters.

Canada's British Columbia Province, among others, has a huge forest products industry and ships big time to the US. About 2-3 years ago Oregon lumber producers filed a complaint in Washington against Canada for unfair competition. The US Feds put tariffs on Canadian lumber going to USA to "level the playing field". That hurt a lot your neighbor's forest industry though. But with the new and recent Free Trade Agreement (US, Mexico, Canada) the lumber tariffs matter was settled and we're best friends again! Nice..
    Areas being forested are blocked off, lumberjacks have no business in PDX and our paths would not cross. The alternative lifestyle people seem to use crew cuts and plaid shirts as a uniform of recognition, they look like lumberjacks.

I rebuilt my 60 ft. patio cover last summer , hauled home a lot of wood from "Home Depot" . Every piece said Canada on it, none said Oregon ... we have to protect the spotted owl here , you know ....

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    On the first point, unless you're in the sticks... I remember when they passed that law and all the memes were flying around about Oregonians losing their minds having to pump gas. LOL I got quite an earful about it too last time I was through there on business and had to get gas for the rental car.

On the second point. Spot on. Moron. But, he's probably made bank on that made up reality show.
    Guess I've never been that far in the sticks. But cross into WA or CA and self serve is all they have, unless you'd like to pay a big premium for the service.

GR - Todd H : A friend stores his plane at an airfield owned by Todd's family in Sandy, sees him sometimes ... says it isn't an act for TV ... really is a moron.

Correction: the tariffs on CDN lumber are not lifted yet but its in the air for near future. We still like you though...

There's two reasons Home Depot and others get lumber in Canada. First the Canadian Dollar is worth less than USD. In reality, seen from Home's point of view, a CAD worth of lumber costs them about 70-75 cents US currency exchange wise. 25-30% cheaper counts.

The other reason being the US would have difficulty to supply all lumber needed with the number of tornados and hurricanes that hit USA destroying everything. Huge amounts of lumber are required to rebuild at so many places. Don't envy US climate catastrophes, including earthquakes. Snow and freezing here appear like minor evils compared to what the US gets hammered with.

Thanks anyway for purchasing Canadian lumber! We owe you a beer, only have Coors Light though...

60 ft patio cover WOW, enough space to invite all (?) LH members to a beer party next summer... Regards,

Richard

Thanks anyway for purchasing Canadian lumber! We owe you a beer, only have Coors Light though...
    60 ft patio cover WOW, enough space to invite all (?) LH members to a beer party next summer... Regards,
    Richard
    beer ? loved the foreign ones, but 1 is my limit now. diuritics for BP you know.

(Diuretics, also called water pills, are medications designed to increase the amount of water and salt expelled from the body as urine. )

The alarm app on these Echo shows is pure garbage.

Amazon really just needs to look at any Android phone made in the last 10 years or so if they need help figuring it out.

No enable/disable of different alarms. No skipping, etc. It's just rubbish.

I don't always want to talk to Alexa at night when my wife is sleeping and I rarely go to bed or get up at the same time (work).

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    The alarm app on these Echo shows is pure garbage. .
    I agree that a lot of improvements need to be made.

What buggs me is that the playback gain changes from announcement to music and even song to song .... just have to find a median that isn't really right for anything.

Thread Information