Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Echo/Alexa ported to audio system

I got that Creek amp just a bit ago ... went searching for a use for it.
    It's narrow enough to use on the headboard as a headphone amp.

It really gives the Senn HD-6XX's some authority.

So last night I pulled the mini plug cable from the DAP and plugged it into
    the Echo Dot ....WOW ... sounded very good. Streaming has come quite a way ...

And I can set an off time.

When the Music's over ,,,pull off the cans ... ... Morrison mite have written in '19.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

What the Tech? Alexa Guard

Amazon launched Alexa Guard earlier this year. By saying “Alexa I’m leaving” the Echo device will listen for loud noises and glass breaking. If it detects and suspects someone is trying to break it, it will send an alert to your smartphone or other device.

It also listens for alarms or beeps from smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

If you have an alarm system from ADT or a Ring doorbell, it will also call police.

https://www.wfmz.com/features/what-t...c3a42e5c3.html

So, if someone walks up to the house and yells through the door/proximate window, "Alexa, I'm home, open the door," do you grant access to burglers?

It has already been shown that Alexa can be activated using a laser beam focused on the device and modulated to the command. This can even be done through a closed window with the aid of a telescope.

Additionally, a member on another forum said his Alexa, and the neighbors, would trigger from commands yelled from outside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    So, if someone walks up to the house and yells through the door/proximate window, "Alexa, I'm home, open the door," do you grant access to burglers?

It has already been shown that Alexa can be activated using a laser beam focused on the device and modulated to the command. This can even be done through a closed window with the aid of a telescope.

Additionally, a member on another forum said his Alexa, and the neighbors, would trigger from commands yelled from outside the house.
    mine just plays music and turns on the light.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    mine just plays music and turns on the light.
    OK, so someone walks up and tells Alexa too blast the stereo and blow out the speakers.

OK, so someone walks up and tells Alexa too blast the stereo and blow out the speakers.
    we get it todd, you don't need one, don't want one, they are too dangerous,,,,bottom line=DON'T get one. hide in the 20th century ... there are hazards everywhere in the 21st.

Very few (smart) HA users will use Alexa alone or presence detection to allow access to their home. Geofencing isn't always accurate.

Alexa can (should) also be setup to require a PIN to unlock a door if you're going to use that feature.

Then you should have set the max volume limit on your smart HT receiver. I did.

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I wasn't suggesting Amazon is spying on you when you turn it off, I'm suggesting others may be using it to monitor your on-line banking etc. by using it as a weak point in your home network. Many of the low cost IOT appliances are famously easy to turn into data gleaning bots.

I've heard that even Mark Zuck has tape over the camera on his computer. While many don't value privacy, personally I would hate to find my 401K balance sitting at $0 due to a hack. If someone gets your PW the fault is yours and no one will give you your money back.

Sorry for the OT rant.

Widget
    old topic I know
    but this is cool, like a look where we are today
    your comments are way beyond valid, they are truth
    but even when this was written it had already happened and in a big way - hurt a lot of people
    the digital picture frame craze that lasted about 5 minutes - just long enough to do about a billion in damage
    the girls got one at my dentist's office - patient files the whole nine yards
    this stuff is crap
    invite it into your house and you are asking for trouble
    I just had to go through "we've cancelled your card because someone's in Vegas buying soda pop" hubbub after a trip to 3 local and legit stops
    I'd bet money it was the card reader at the gas station
    chip only for me now and never at the pump
    and that's like horse and buggy to the holes available to the skilled with this shit
    use at your own peril

Trade in an old Echo dot for a $5 gift card and 25% off a new device.

One per customer. They use your registered Echo devices to pick for the trade.

I just got an Echo Show 8 for $74. Traded one of the Echo2 that has been sitting power off for a while.

that's much worse than the grandkids jacking up the volume knob and blowing out the speakers.

I wonder which has happened more times.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    Trade in an old Echo dot for a $5 gift card and 25% off a new device.

One per customer. They use your registered Echo devices to pick for the trade.

I just got an Echo Show 8 for $74. Traded one of the Echo2 that has been sitting power off for a while.
    sounds like a deal, converted an unused item into discount on something you did want.

yesterday my little ECHO had a green ring slowly pulsing, what

checked it out ... means a notification is waiting

figured out how to retrieve that ... it said "8gb ddr4 delivered"

then I recalled that I'd ordered some RAM last week , went out to the mailbox and there it was. Kinda cool service.

RE new avatar pic

You mean I could go to Portland, do sweet nothing all day, have no sales tax to pay, not have to deal with cold temp, freezing rain, ice pellets, shoveling snow, can get acquainted with Alexa (have none) and give her instructions as I please, then listen to gear you have while drinking your beer, as well as being fed, all this for no work in return? Nice, great place! when can I move in? Won't need to bother bringing winter clothes and boots there right? Had Bora Bora Island in mind before, but Love Portland suddenly, similar but closer! lol, Regards

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    RE new avatar pic

You mean I could go to Portland, do sweet nothing all day, have no sales tax to pay, not have to deal with cold temp, freezing rain, ice pellets, shoveling snow, can get acquainted with Alexa (have none) and give her instructions as I please, then listen to gear you have while drinking your beer, as well as being fed, all this for no work in return? Nice, great place! when can I move in? Won't need to bother bringing winter clothes and boots there right? Had Bora Bora Island in mind before, but Love Portland suddenly, similar but closer! lol, Regards

Richard
    yeah, you pretty much described my life. Tho wrong about snow ... some years we can get up to 3 inches, all in one day ..

we also brew a lot of beer and drink a lot of coffee and desire our bike infrastructure to be like Europe.

Not for everyone, but being a disabled vet ... all my medical care is free.

oh yeah, not allowed to pump your own gas either ...

there is a reason the Californians sell their houses, move up here and pay cash for a house here with a bunch o' bux left over.

and sometimes it can get BELOW freezing

There is a show on cable called "Portlandia" (available on youtube) that shows the wackier (normal ?) side of the city ... their tagline is
    "Portland ...where young people go to retire" and "Portland .. live the dream of the 80's"

RE "yeah, you pretty much described my life." Could be mine too if I moved to Portland... lol

RE "oh yeah, not allowed to pump your own gas either..."

In wonderland of optional work wouldn't it be nice not having to fill up the car and let others do it? Hopefully gas station attendant doesn't himself believe in optional work religion cause then you're screwed, lol

RE "There is a show on cable called "Portlandia" ..."

Only thing I know about Oregon was the lumberjacks TV program cutting trees on mountain sides and pulling logs with an aerial cable (Discovery channel?). Plus the Hoffman's search for gold there that went belly up on Gold Rush program (also Discovery channel). However, now can also add knowledge of "where work is optional", lol

Btw you got rid of "Nights of winter keep me cold..." Starting to smell like spring already in Portland ? Much prefered "if you think this is the dumbest thing you heard wait a few minutes..." kind of thing. Fun. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information