Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68

Thread: Jbl l100 classic

  1. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    6

    The wait is over; L100 Classics are breaking in nicely

    I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:
    • They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
    • They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
    • The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
    • Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
    • Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
    • One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
    • They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
    • One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

    I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.


    Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  105.3 KB

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ont.
    Posts
    4,726
    Very Cool!

    Thanks for posting your experiences!


  3. #48
    Junior Member NEWYORKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    18

    Thanks and awesome review!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2440 View Post
    I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:
    • They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
    • They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
    • The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
    • Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
    • Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
    • One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
    • They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
    • One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

    I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.


    Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  105.3 KB
    Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.

  4. #49
    Senior Member sonofagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stanwood, MI
    Posts
    1,155
    MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.


    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

  5. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    6

    Hopefully, my cats don't like Indonesian foam

    Quote Originally Posted by NEWYORKER View Post
    Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.
    The L100 Classic is indeed Indonesian. Some Revel speakers come from there, I believe, so maybe they're built in the same facility. The 4429 looks cool but L100s were at the top of my budget, and my wife loves how they look. After putting up with the industrial look of 4425, LSR28P, and ATC SCM20 studio monitors over the past 25 years, she deserves a break. The L100's bass may be tuned more for American tastes than the 4429's, but I've never heard them.

    I got pricing on Sound Anchor stands for L100s, from $600-800 plus shipping, depending on whether you choose 3 or 4 post stands. That is a lot of money, but they're made in Florida, so there ya go.

  6. #51
    Senior Member sonofagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stanwood, MI
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.
    And made here!!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

  7. #52
    Senior Member srm51555's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    514
    Thank you for posting and congratulations!

  8. #53
    Senior Member gsb001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntley ILL. Chicago Land Area
    Posts
    345
    Me too - thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    I especially like your grille frame fit and finish observations.
    SB
    Steve Barnes
    Huntley Audio.com

  9. #54
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,095
    Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Thank you for posting and congratulations!
    +1


    Widget

  10. #55
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,022
    Glad you like them and thanks for posting!

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  11. #56
    Super Moderator jblnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    893
    Great review - thanks for sharing!

    My Salon 2's also say "Made in Indonesia" on the box so I would wager that's the new Harman speaker facility in the East.


    jblnut

  12. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    6

    Cool The birth of the Tom Waits speaker company!

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    And made here!!
    Step right up, step right up, step right up,
    Everyone's a winner, bargains galore
    That's right, you too can be the proud owner
    Of the quality goes in before the name goes on



  13. #58
    Junior Member JBLCarousel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Anyone who is expecting any similarity to the original L100 beyond the superficial appearance is probably not really dealing with reality. I fully expect a vastly improved sound quality and performance based on innovations over the last 50-years and Chris Hagen's involvement in the process. Doesn't mean one couldn't or shouldn't still enjoy the old "fake-but-fun" icons.
    Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...

  14. #59
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,170
    That’s interesting because l heard it doesn’t.

  15. #60
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLCarousel View Post
    Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...
    I'm sure if you buy a pair they'll be the finest speaker ever made. Perhaps you can get Kenji to make a pair for you with synthetic leather surrounds to improve their technology?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. L100 Classic
    By Donald in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM
  2. $1K Project classic
    By Audiobeer in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
  3. Classic BGW 750 E
    By missionrec in forum Professional Amps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 08:12 AM
  4. 250 ti classic
    By sgaggy in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •