Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jbl l100 classic

For almost a year now, I have had thought of the same idea - re-introducing an updated version of the original with better components and performance. IF I had gotten the support/help I've been trying to get for years now (), I could have beaten them to the ....

I still could sell an improved version (maybe with an updated foam grille design also) for a lot less than $4k. IF anyone's interested.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    For almost a year now, I have had thought of the same idea - re-introducing an updated version of the original with better components and performance. IF I had gotten the support/help I've been trying to get for years now (), I could have beaten them to the ....

I still could sell an improved version (maybe with an updated foam grille design also) for a lot less than $4k. IF anyone's interested.
    Sounds pretty good,expecting for your version!
    46 lover

I will need some help - such as others willing to pre-order a set or more. Price estimate from $1200-2000/set.

Also open to some suggestions for some system components or kit* that will work in a similar sized cabinet. I intend a better cabinet also - material and construction wise.

*Not necessarily JBL stuff either - there are plenty of modern day components from many other suppliers out there that offer great performance at excellent price points.

$3000? Wow.

What? No one here gets what I'm saying? With just a little help from someone, we could do VERY well ($$$) in the speaker market* - beats me why I get no help or interest.

*and other markets as well

What? No one here gets what I'm saying? With just a little help from someone, we could do VERY well ($$$) in the speaker market - beats me why I get no help or interest.
    If it's such a sure-fire business why not keep all the profit for yourself, build a prototype unit and sell, then plow the profits back into manufacturing the 2nd and third set. That would be a very low cost way to get started.

I don't think you can possibly siphon off any L100 customers because they are buying the name and reputation as much as the speaker. Your clone speakers may be better built and may sound better, but it is not authentic JBL.

If this type of business appeals to you, you might consider starting a made-to-order speaker business and advertise it. I used such a business to get my clone enclosures made last winter. But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success.

Quote Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
    If it's such a sure-fire business why not keep all the profit for yourself, build a prototype unit and sell, then plow the profits back into manufacturing the 2nd and third set. That would be a very low cost way to get started.

I don't think you can possibly siphon off any L100 customers because they are buying the name and reputation as much as the speaker. Your clone speakers may be better built and may sound better, but it is not authentic JBL.

If this type of business appeals to you, you might consider starting a made-to-order speaker business and advertise it. I used such a business to get my clone enclosures made last winter. But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success.
    Because there's just so much one person (old and with little $$ to spare from just paying bills enough to barely live) can do. Frustrating having multiple unique product and business ideas (one already in demand) that could collectively create a thriving large scale business, but unable to implement by oneself.

"But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success."

What do you think I've been trying to do for over 40 years now?

What do you think I've been trying to do for over 40 years now?
    40 years? If you haven't done it successfully by now, maybe it's time to move on and enjoy other pursuits. If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless! Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business. Best of luck to you.

"Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business."

Like what? You have a suggestion on how I can live on $500/mo SS income? Pretty cold living on the street half of the year here in Michigan.

I'm supposed to give up on 40 + years of hard work trying to build a business that has customers worldwide ordering from me?

That has sold and shipped thousands of unique products with positive feedback and glowing comments?

"Best of luck to you."

I've heard that too many times already.

Please no more advice - serious inquiries/PMs from interested parties only.

40 years? If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless!
    Whoa! I think I resent that remark . . . and all it assumes.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Whoa! I think I resent that remark . . . and all it assumes.
    I suspect more than a few of us are past that milestone. It was meant as a general reference to near retirement age. If you're still going great guns with your career, that's fantastic I merely suggest that the clock is ticking down and if one avenue closes for a person, try something else that won't frustrate you and where you can find some peace. But you know that...

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    The old L-100 crossed at about 1500hz and 6khz. The new L-100 is crossed at 450hz and 3.5khz.
    AFAIR; the lower point on the old one is a bit moot as the LF runs FULL RANGE and overlaps a lot with the mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

. They stretched the enclosure a bit for the vertical driver alignment but kept the proportions. That allowed beefing up the bass a bit making it a great party loudspeaker at home. The tweeter and mid range drivers are a bit better and it has a better crossover network. But otherwise it’s a freshen up and rerelease of a very successful loudspeaker.
    lots of bits there, may not add up to a full byte (bite ?? ) or even 4K

If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless! Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business. Best of luck to you.
    About to pass 69. Retired at 52. Golden years, One of the best times of my life (except for aches & pains )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Anyone who is expecting any similarity to the original L100 beyond the superficial appearance is probably not really dealing with reality. I fully expect a vastly improved sound quality and performance based on innovations over the last 50-years and Chris Hagen's involvement in the process. Doesn't mean one couldn't or shouldn't still enjoy the old "fake-but-fun" icons.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business."

Like what? You have a suggestion on how I can live on $500/mo SS income? Pretty cold living on the street half of the year here in Michigan.

I'm supposed to give up on 40 + years of hard work trying to build a business that has customers worldwide ordering from me?

That has sold and shipped thousands of unique products with positive feedback and glowing comments?

"Best of luck to you."

I've heard that too many times already.

Please no more advice - serious inquiries/PMs from interested parties only.
    So for 40+ years now, I have focused on (and was the first*) helping preserve and restore the legacy of Jim Lansing thru my products so I would think someone (anyone?) on this site would be interested in becoming involved in helping me continue and greatly expand this business (being very profitable for all**).
    But I get nothing - not even an exploratory inquiry to find out details. WT...

*Now with copycats who have taken thousands of $$ of work from me.

**It is a VERY profitable business - now I am inviting someone/others on board to fully expand this to its full potential. Needs more than one person (handicapped when it comes to online marketing and sales).

http://foamspeakergrilles.com/latest_news

Mainly will appreciate responses (if any) by PM only or at least constructive ones.

Thread Information