Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jbl l100 classic

The wait is over; L100 Classics are breaking in nicely

I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:
    • They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
    • They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
    • The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
    • Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
    • Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
    • One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
    • They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
    • One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  105.3 KB

Very Cool!

Thanks for posting your experiences!

Thanks and awesome review!

Quote Originally Posted by 2440 View Post
    I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:
    • They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
    • They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
    • The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
    • Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
    • Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
    • One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
    • They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
    • One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  105.3 KB
    Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.

MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.

40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Hopefully, my cats don't like Indonesian foam

Quote Originally Posted by NEWYORKER View Post
    Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.
    The L100 Classic is indeed Indonesian. Some Revel speakers come from there, I believe, so maybe they're built in the same facility. The 4429 looks cool but L100s were at the top of my budget, and my wife loves how they look. After putting up with the industrial look of 4425, LSR28P, and ATC SCM20 studio monitors over the past 25 years, she deserves a break. The L100's bass may be tuned more for American tastes than the 4429's, but I've never heard them.

I got pricing on Sound Anchor stands for L100s, from $600-800 plus shipping, depending on whether you choose 3 or 4 post stands. That is a lot of money, but they're made in Florida, so there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.
    And made here!!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Thank you for posting and congratulations!

Me too - thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    I especially like your grille frame fit and finish observations.
    SB
    Steve Barnes
    Huntley Audio.com

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Thank you for posting and congratulations!
    +1

Widget

Glad you like them and thanks for posting!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Great review - thanks for sharing!

My Salon 2's also say "Made in Indonesia" on the box so I would wager that's the new Harman speaker facility in the East.

jblnut

Cool The birth of the Tom Waits speaker company!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    And made here!!
    Step right up, step right up, step right up,
    Everyone's a winner, bargains galore
    That's right, you too can be the proud owner
    Of the quality goes in before the name goes on

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Anyone who is expecting any similarity to the original L100 beyond the superficial appearance is probably not really dealing with reality. I fully expect a vastly improved sound quality and performance based on innovations over the last 50-years and Chris Hagen's involvement in the process. Doesn't mean one couldn't or shouldn't still enjoy the old "fake-but-fun" icons.
    Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...

That’s interesting because l heard it doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLCarousel View Post
    Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...
    I'm sure if you buy a pair they'll be the finest speaker ever made. Perhaps you can get Kenji to make a pair for you with synthetic leather surrounds to improve their technology?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information