I bought a Metregon 230 when I was 18 for $150 bucks at a local thrift store. I knew what it was and it was mint. I then moved to NYC for college and then LA for grad school where I stayed for 15 years. My Metregon just lived in my parent's basement for the 20 years. I am now married moved to a new home, and I finally got my Metregon back! It's mint, completely original, and unmolested. All I did was deoxidize everything and replace a few washers with nylon washers. It took a few days of slowly cranking it up to get everything pushing right, but it sounds pretty amazing now. I have a few questions for the other Metregon owners out there. Right now I am running a small tube amp a Jolida FX10 it's probably only pushing 5 watts to each side, but it's still very loud, and I can only turn it up half way before the wife and dog run out of the room, LOL.

1. Seems that it doesn't have that bass that hits hard, has anyone added an external bass speaker to the system if so any suggestions?

2. What amps are people running and what was the originally suggested amp? I am only running my Jolida because of that's what I had on my other small room system. I am not rich just a school teacher, so please keep ideas under $1,500.

3. My grain looks to be walnut, but it has a more reddish color like mahogany or teak any ideas on what wood they were made from?

Thanks for letting me be part of the forum. It wasn't letting me upload photos so I can email them if you want to see outside and inside shots.

Corey