Thread: When was the D110F introduced?

When was the D110F introduced?

I can't find an answer to this question online, the JBL catalogs in the library suggest the D110 came after 1964, but existed by 1967. The D110F for Fender surely came somewhat later than the D110, but when?

Can't answer your question precisely, but the D110F was not mentioned in the musical instrument cut sheet for 1967, only the D130F and the D131F (the name for the 12" version before the name change to D120F) were mentioned in the 1967 sheet. The 1970 sheet does have the D110F as well as the renamed D120F, D130F, and the D140F.

Widget

Hello Mr. Widget and thanks for the reply! I did find a reference to the JBL D110F, D120F, D130F and D140F in a 1967 JBL catalog under the heading Musical Instruments. Here's a link to that catalog, which I found in the JBL Library on this website under Catalogs.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...mi-drivers.jpg

That's the earliest (1967) reference to these speakers I can find in the available catalogs, but the argument could be raised that JBL produced them earlier and sold them exclusively to Fender for some years before offering them publicly in their catalog.

Anything is possible and we know JBL was rather fluid with their naming and model number schemes back then. I didn’t see a date on the sheet you posted a link to. Are you sure it is from ‘67?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I didn’t see a date on the sheet you posted a link to. Are you sure it is from ‘67? Widget
    I'm certain it's from the catalog that the Library has marked "1967". The link gives you only a single page from the catalog, it's too bad viewers can't page forward and backward but are limited to a single page at a time. I rechecked the catalog marked "1966" and there's no date either. So we have to rely on the JBL Librarian to get the dates right. Comparing the two catalogs, the number of JBL products was greatly expanded in "1967", including the addition of the F series of musical instrument speakers.

I've e-mailed Harvey Gerst about the D110F, but so far no reply.

I found a JBL catalog specifically for the D130F and the Librarian indicates that it's from "circa 1967". Reading the text you'll find that it appears to be touting the recent development of the D130F - it's a matter of verb tense in the script. It's marked JBL publication SB1214.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...comp/d130f.htm

Thread Information