Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut-off frequency for JBL STX825 horn (p/n 5006815)?

Hi Dave M,

Each to his own.

The DMS 1 was hyped at the time as an improved version of the 4435.
    However it was a flop commercially.

The consumer M9500 K2 with the more traditional bi radial horn profile is still highly regard by audio critics and was successful.

Both the DMS 1 and the M9500 share the same woofer as l recall.

Btw the manufacturing quality of the 2332 was absolutely terrible. I have a pair.

They are as rough as a badgers arshole.

We are all entitled to our own opinions about what we prefer and that is what makes “audio reproduction” a diverse industry in terms of product offerings.

HI Ian,

I had 4425 and still have UREI 813C. As a "real" large studio monitor, I have no hesitation to say DMS is definitely better than that generation of JBL monitors, but it was released when Genelec and TAD Kinoshita was dominating the large monitor market, and JBL was considered to be no longer in fashion. I don't think Kinoshita style configuration with Genelec style time alignment was a bad concept, but it's also hard to deny DMS/9500 are nothing but a Kinoshita vertical twin knockoff.

BTW, I do not really see any manufacturing quality issue of 2332, and in fact, it looks much more expensive than STX to my eyes, but my 2332 looks like it is painted by JBL to match the color / texture with the DMS enclosure.

Maybe your 2332 was a different batch. Others here have commented on the finish.

I don’t wish to comment on the comparisons other than the M9500 was unique in terms of the drivers, the horn and the system integration by Greg Timbers.

http://www.allegrosound.com/JBL_K2_M9500.pdf

Hi Ian,

hahaha, I guess JBL painted 2332 to make it look appropriate for expensive studio monitor.

"The Horns are made of aluminum WITH the exception of some versions of the 2332. The version in the later array cabs is shiny Fiberglas where the version in the DMS-1 monitor is spray-coated on the face like the rest of the baffle. "
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post354757

I have read a very interesting Greg’s comment about 9500 before (probably here in this forum). What I said about Kinoshita/DMS/9500 is the vertical twin woofer configuration. Yes, enclosure design, horn and driver on them are very different. Interesting thing for me is, 475Nd driver on M9500 has a classic long snout unlike 2450SL. 2450SL was the world first snout-less driver (SL probably means Snout-Less) developed with 2332/2352 Optimized Aperture horns. JBL could have used M9500 horn for DMS-1, but the reason why they didn’t should be they wanted to promote their new generation of lower distortion snout-less horn design to pro market, like they do the same with M2 now.

Thread Information