Hi everyone... looking for some advice. I have a set of JBL XPL160s that I've owned for >25 years. They have been in storage in dry Nw Mexico for the past 12 years. I recently got them from storage and hooked them up and noticed pretty quickly that the lows were was distorted. I removed the cloth covers from the front and discovered both of the speakers' woofers had experienced foam deterioration, so they need refoaming.

I called one guy locally (Washington DC area) and was quoted about $120/speaker (this guy said he was a certified JBL technician and had done "hundreds" or refoamings). I called another guy who in the business for decades repairing speakers and was quoted ~$250-300/speaker. This second guy told me that JBLs are known to sometimes be difficult to work on, such as hard to remove speakers from cabinets, and thus the high price.

Was wondering what is a reasonable price to look for to reform speakers? The price difference between the two quotes seems pretty wide...

Also, I was wondering if it was possible for me to remove the speaker from the cabinet to allow easier transportation, etc. for repair? I noted 4 screws around each woofer, but when I removed them, the speaker still seemed pretty tight in the cabinet (didn't budge/look loose at all).

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Fudai