Thread: New Music to You

New Music to You

What music have you been listening too that is new to you. Music you just kind of stumbled into no vinyl unless it is being pressed in the last year or two. Better yet any music from new bands that just happened to be opening for the main acts for shows you have been too.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I find new music these days through streaming services, mainly Napster (Rhapsody). A lot of bands I missed at the time, many now gone, but new to me. Throwing Muses and School Of Seven Bells come to mind. Maybe the best is Bel Canto; they came up twenty-five years ago and I had never heard of them. Half of the band, singer Anneli Drecker, has become a favorite too.

I was very pleased to discover the Welsh harpist Robin Huw Bowen. Found him on a Harp Twins (Camille and Kennerly Kitt) video.

The Norwegian singer/band Bendik I heard on the end credits song of a film on Netflix; couldn't help but notice, her voice has the power of a large choir. Silje Nergaard, on a mix compilation on Napster. Kaki King on a "Ten best female guitarists" video on YouTube. The Murmers and Uh Huh Her from looking up the biography of an actress on The L Word. She has been known to wear a t-shirt that says "No One Knows I'm A Bass Player." Sleater-Kinney because the guitarist is also a comedian on Portlandia.

Undiscovered music is everywhere, especially female-led outfits. They tend to be overlooked by the charts.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Allison Miller, Yoko Miwa, Jenny Scheinman, Janel & Anthony. Most recent stumbles. Random visits to small clubs in the area.

I like the fact most small artists still make and sell cds (and some also sell records) at their shows.

Most recent stumbles. Random visits to small clubs in the area.

I like the fact most small artists still make and sell cds (and some also sell records) at their shows.
    Me too as well! Same with me lots of vinyl where I am with the CD's. I do a lot of small venues close to NYC and some of the bands I see for a $12 ticket are amazingly good! It's so nice to be able to just say hello to them at the merch table.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information