Thread: JBL XPL200 - which amplifier/s and how to set up them properly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL XPL200 - which amplifier/s and how to set up them properly?

Hello Community!

I have a pair of JBL XPL200. At the moment I run them with a Pioneer A-777 Stereo Amplifier. It sounds pretty satisfying so far, but after reading all those threads about Bi-Amping I am consistently wondering how it may sounded when I Bi-Amp them.

As I am a complete newbie, I have no idea how to realize this though. Also I‘m not a friend of decisions :-)
    So I hope that u guys can tell me which amplifiers (exact model & brand) I should use for this. Also I am not sure if I need a „Crossover“ (whatever this is) like the DX-1.
    After reading a few other threads and articles im just more confused and just don‘t know which amp(s) I need, and where do I have to plug in which cable.

Could somebody please explain to a newbie, which amps and which crossover I should choose for my pair of XPL200 to get the best out of them, and finally how i should set up that stuff (which cable where to plug) ?

I guess there is not THE RIGHT combination of amp and crossover for the XPL200, of course. Nevertheless I would love to get just simple explanations and product suggestions (maybe used condition) that are – in your opinion – able to get out all the dynamic and brillance of the XPL200.
    One more thing to add: I own the XPL200, not the XPL200A.

I‘m grateful for every piece of advice!

Matt

I read in more other threads and reviews, that bi amping is great, "when you know what you are doing."
    Do i really have to be a professional to set this thing up? Of course im not that stupid and able to get into topics quite quickly, but when it comes to electrical and technical things, its quite hard because i always am scared to break my equipment..
    So i guess if there is not an easy way, without many complex adjustments, then i better won't do it and just stay with my pioneer a-777?
    Is it so that i can plug the amplifiers in, set the crossover as i wish and that's it?
    appreciating any kind of help

To biamp the XPL=200 you need an active crossover. The DX-1 was a special high quality active crossover that used specific cards to biamp several JBL systems. You can use other active crossovers but the curves may not match so it will work but not as well as a properly set-up DX-1. I managed to get a DX-1 and had to build my own XPL cards. I used an inexpensive analog crossover the JBL M552 until I managed to get a DX-1 it sounded good even not using optimal curves.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

You need to be able to add the crossover between the pre-amp and power amp. An integrated may not work as you need the pre-output and power amp input jacks, and they aren't always provided. Sometimes you see these as jumpers that can be removed from the back of an amp for this purpose.
    My own preference has always been to get two power amps made by the same company and at close to the same time but not caring if they were the same model or not. A big one and a small one. For a while I had a Belles 100 and a Belles 200. Later I found an Acurus A200X3 and an A250 at a bargain price. I snapped those up and used them for years and they were excellent. If I though that I needed to buy something new, I might consider a Monoprice five channel amp. I haven't heard one though.

well, i think that its better if i stay with my regular amplifier setup... i think its not worth the effort and the money..
    thank you anyway for ur help guys!

can be closed here if u like? sorry for interrupting!

all the best!
    matt
    Last edited by xpl200_user; 09-20-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: want to delete

Thread Information