Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Altec Laguna 830A

Welcome back, Mr. Earl. Hope you had a nice trip.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks GDM!

I did have a nice trip / though it's nicer to be home.

I had a pair of circa 1965 Carmel many years ago that got parted out. I still have the little conductor badges that were attached to the grille cloth. They are simple gold coloured thin stampings of some lightweight metal and the lettering is not highlighted. Also, they are not flat.The one in the picture above actually looks more modern looking. Sort of like the lettering is silkscreened on to a flat surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I had a pair of circa 1965 Carmel many years ago that got parted out. I still have the little conductor badges that were attached to the grille cloth. They are simple gold coloured thin stampings of some lightweight metal and the lettering is not highlighted. Also, they are not flat.The one in the picture above actually looks more modern looking. Sort of like the lettering is silkscreened on to a flat surface.
    Hi Chas,

( For the sake of posterity ), are you able to provide a closeup pic of your badge showing the Altec little conductor ( maestro ) ?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Chas,

( For the sake of posterity ), are you able to provide a closeup pic of your badge showing the Altec little conductor ( maestro ) ?

cheers
    Earl, after all these years, I still can’t seem to figure out how to attach pics! PM me your email and I’ll forward one to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Earl, after all these years, I still can’t seem to figure out how to attach pics! PM me your email and I’ll forward one to you.
    Alrighty then! Here's the pic that Chas just sent me.

Name:  IMG_1111.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  35.7 KB

Thanks Charles!

Thanks Earl. FWIW, they are sitting on top of my newly (this year) adopted and reconditioned Valencia’s. I’m totally loving them!

Thanks to everyone that posted and offered their insight into this speaker. I now have it in the house and I am currently listening to it and it sounds wonderful. I wanted to post a few follow-up pictures just to document a little bit further in case someone else comes upon an “almost” Laguna 830A.

I ended up taking all the speakers out to give it a thorough cleaning and was just curious if I would find any other clues about who made it via a mark or label or something. I didn’t find anything but was able to note how great the construction actually is. I would argue that the inside is as good as a Glenn made cabinet even though the fine furniture details on the outside aren’t quite there even though this one is still a high quality job. The board that the woofers mount to is a full 1” thick and the support pieces inside are truly dimensional 2”x4”. All the bracing is excellent and the inside was painted. I vacuumed and cleaned the entire cabinet with Murphy's oil soap and it came out great. I reinstalled all of the original fiberglass material and added a fresh layer on top. It was all wrapped in cheese cloth which worked well to keep the material together and make it look better. I replaced all the wires not originating from the network. The speakers were vacuumed and the frames lightly cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Everything came out fantastic. The finish on the outside was in great shape with no scratches but some oxidation of the varnish. I used a product called Howard’s restore-a-finish and it made the outside of the cabinet look like new- a great product that you should look into if restoring an old cabinet. I got everything back together using loctite on all the mounting bolts just to prevent loosening from vibration. I got it in the corner, hooked it up to my Fisher and it sounds great! The only thing left to do is make a replacement trim piece for the front, but I didn’t want to wait for that to get it into service. Thanks for looking! I would love to see another similar one show up here

**One last question- What does the stamp with S12 in a circle mean? Please see last picture ****
    Attached Images Attached Images      

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images      

one last thing

forgot to mention:

Original "Glenn made" Altec Lansing Laguna 830A measurements from Altec catalog: 46 1/2" H x 42 1/2 W x 26 1/2" D

Mine measures: 46 1/2" H x 41 3/4" W x 26 1/4 D...................pretty close

Thread Information