Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and then?

JBL 4430 & 4425 & Spendor BC3 & Rogers LS5/8

and then?

Hi.
    I have, here in Spain (important for the lack of JBL vintage product) in my "main" room a 4430 couple and in my back another 4425, which I have many years. Many times I have thought of a change of the entire speaker system by another JBL, but a little better ... my problem is that it can not have more width than the 4430 for space problem.
    I have a project parked around 4435 "in tower" since I am very happy with my system and I find here couples of the series 43 is more than impossible and the shipment from other countries and without seeing the product is also complicated.
    Really the sound of my 4 pairs of JBL is very good ... and when I disconnect the 4425 from the system it is not the same ... I thought about selling only the 4425 but I am not satisfied, now, with the sound of the 4430 them alone. ..
    According to your experience ... what would be, according to measures similar to 4430, the next step for this system but only with a couple of speakers?

I imagine that most members here would prefer questions posted in English.

I'll do a very brief translation of your question, filtering out the erratum so that the knowledgeable can respond.

Alpina has 2 pair of JBL speakers in one room; a pair of 4430 in the front, and a pair of 4425 behind him.
    He plays both pair at a time and likes it best this way. He would like to upgrade the 4430 to something slightly better but has a limit on width. The new speakers can't be wider than 556mm (21-7/8"+/-)wide.

His question is; what newer JBL's would be a step up for him?

I'll give my thoughts for what it's worth;

I had 4367's which only measure 4mm wider than the 4430's. They would most assuredly be a step up from the earlier generation horn waveguides. On the used market, 4365's with their magnesium tweeter would be another consideration. If you wanted to go with active speakers the logical choice would be the M2's.

Yo tuve los 4367, que solo miden unos 4mm mas ancho cada uno que los 4430. Seguro que serian una mejoría que generación antigua de las guía de ondas de los tweeter. Usados, los 4365, con su tweeter de magnesio serian otra opción. Si quisieras optar por la opción de altavoces activos, los M2 seria la elección mas lógica. Son los altavoces que yo tengo ahora.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
    I imagine that most members here would prefer questions posted in English.

I'll do a very brief translation of your question, filtering out the erratum so that the knowledgeable can respond.

Alpina has 2 pair of JBL speakers in one room; a pair of 4430 in the front, and a pair of 4425 behind him.
    He plays both pair at a time and likes it best this way. He would like to upgrade the 4430 to something slightly better but has a limit on width. The new speakers can't be wider than 556mm (21-7/8"+/-)wide.

His question is; what newer JBL's would be a step up for him?
    I think there are many options for Alpina to upgrade his 4430,such as S7500,4338,S9900,array 1400,S4700,4365,4367 M2 etc,but i think all these newer speakers are diffent style to 4430
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
    I'll give my thoughts for what it's worth;

I had 4367's which only measure 4mm wider than the 4430's. They would most assuredly be a step up from the earlier generation horn waveguides. On the used market, 4365's with their beryllium tweeter would be another consideration. If you wanted to go with active speakers the logical choice would be the M2's.

Yo tuve los 4367, que solo miden unos 4mm mas ancho cada uno que los 4430. Seguro que serian una mejoría que generación antigua de las guía de ondas de los tweeter. Usados, los 4365, con su tweeter de beryllium serian otra opción. Si quisieras optar por la opción de altavoces activos, los M2 seria la elección mas lógica. Son los altavoces que yo tengo ahora.

4365 does have not beryllium tweeter, 476mg and 045Ti-1

I try owned both D2430K and 476Mg and for me 476Mg sound way better than D2430K
    2216Nd-1 (4367) might be better up to 800Hz than 1501Fe (4365)

4365 vs 4367, I would go for 4365

M2 is another choose, a good studio monitor
    I have heard clone version of them and the weakest point in the M2 are the D2430K driver, the owner of this clone did swap the D2430K for 2450Be and they sound were better with 2450Be

Ari

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    4365 does have not beryllium tweeter, 476mg and 045Ti-1

I try owned both D2430K and 476Mg and for me 476Mg sound way better than D2430K
    2216Nd-1 (4367) might be better up to 800Hz than 1501Fe (4365)

4365 vs 4367, I would go for 4365

M2 is another choose, a good studio monitor
    I have heard clone version of them and the weakest point in the M2 are the D2430K driver, the owner of this clone did swap the D2430K for 2450Be and they sound were better with 2450Be

Ari
    The JBL's big progress from 4365 to 4367 is D2 driver, it directly comes from M2, but you deny it?
    46 lover

oops...my error. I hoped however that some of you more knowledeable would respond. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    The JBL's big progress from 4365 to 4367 is D2 driver, it directly comes from M2, but you deny it?

I heard the 4367 -D2 in Munich .... I sat down for a few minutes and listened the smile slipped from my face ..... Fu----- awful !

You can also put me on this list. If I liked the 4367 more than my 4365’s I would have a pair.

I have tried hard to love the D2/M2 but I just don’t.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

yes, I do
    they might have said at D2 were big progress from 4365 to 4367 but that does not sound like that in my ears
    the 4" compression drivers like the 476Mg/Be are in another league

I am wondering, have you heard any of this monitors like 4365 or 4367?

Ari

JBL 4430 & 4425 & Spendor BC3 & Rogers LS5/8
    Sorry ... but the error of the translation was the google's own automatic translator ... anyway, the translation of Mate Fitero is correct.
    PD:Yes, I would look for something of the same style and my 4430 and 4425 ... something old, I mean.
    I have read on several occasions that these models lack high frequencies ... it is true that I am used to the BC3 spendor that I use most often, when I hear the JBL again, although it is a sound that I like more because it is more full and muscular Spendor, if it is true that the change, I notice the difference, so maybe, if I decide to change, I understand that it would be better some model to go higher on that frequency. I like, for example, the 4343 but having no chance here to listen to these models of the series 43, I do not know if it will be a substantial improvement or any other model of the series.

I friend had the Spendor Prelude which l have heard.

He added a small ribbon super tweeter which he claims is an improvement

You can hear the subtitles or unique aspects to individual recordings. This is quite obvious on vinyl. Also differences in audio electronics.

He very much has audiophile taste (a house full of expensive hifi) and he heard my 4345 clones with favourable feedback
    The differences are still obvious (even more so) but the presentation is on a much bigger scale.

But my 4345 clones have many small improvements that when using hi end amplifiers makes for approaching a hi end experience. Out of the box a 4343 is fun to listen to but it’s compromised by some marketing decisions and the manufacturers assembly & parts like the crossover network, the 2121 paper dust cap and the D16R2420 diaphragm. Once you sort out these things the bones of the system have quite good potential with hi end amps, hi end active frequency dividing network and source. This is why the Japanese worship these systems. It’s because they hold the belief the 4343-4344 can play better. Guys like Kenji in Japan have capitalised on this with reproductions of these systems but they are very expensive. Some people have re invented the system with large format compression drivers. That’s a very expensive and requires considerable redesign of the original system.

I can help you modify or build a 4343-4344 with stellar audiophile experience without blowing the budget.

So something like a stock 4343-4344 is an entry point to that journey if that makes sense.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    yes, I do
    they might have said at D2 were big progress from 4365 to 4367 but that does not sound like that in my ears
    the 4" compression drivers like the 476Mg/Be are in another league

I am wondering, have you heard any of this monitors like 4365 or 4367?

Ari
    Of course,i auditioned them several years ago at local dealer's shop in the same condition,4367 has better low end and better sound imagine than 4365, and 4365 is a little harsh.Mr.GT had said s4700 is more musical than 4365.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    You can also put me on this list. If I liked the 4367 more than my 4365’s I would have a pair.

I have tried hard to love the D2/M2 but I just don’t.

Barry.
    Why?what a sorryyou are unwilling to accept new things
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by alpina View Post
    Sorry ... but the error of the translation was the google's own automatic translator ... anyway, the translation of Mate Fitero is correct.
    PD:Yes, I would look for something of the same style and my 4430 and 4425 ... something old, I mean.
    I have read on several occasions that these models lack high frequencies ... it is true that I am used to the BC3 spendor that I use most often, when I hear the JBL again, although it is a sound that I like more because it is more full and muscular Spendor, if it is true that the change, I notice the difference, so maybe, if I decide to change, I understand that it would be better some model to go higher on that frequency. I like, for example, the 4343 but having no chance here to listen to these models of the series 43, I do not know if it will be a substantial improvement or any other model of the series.
    4430 is 16k at high end and 4343 is 20k high end,so the simplest way is to add 077 on 4430,many members of this forum have done this
    46 lover

Thread Information