Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 435(X) Tower Speakers

JBL 435(X) Tower Speakers

I have recently completed the build of some new speakers based on the 4355 system but I have made some significant changes as can be seen. Due to space limitations I decided to configure the system as a "Tower".

Before starting this project I have read hundreds if not thousands of pages of threads from the Lansing Heritage site and wish to thank the many, many individuals who have contributed their expertise and knowledge. Without that help I would never have been able to tackle this project.
    I have used the same speakers as in the original 4355 (2x 2235H, 2202H, 2441, and 2405H). I used a 2397 replica horn which is made from solid black walnut. I had made a previous set of these horns and really like the sound quality. The 2405 front end has been replaced with a Kenrick polished bronze unit.
    I am currently using a Accuphase F-15 Electronic crossover with a 290Hz and 2 way card installed and a JBL N1200 and N8000 units for the upper passive crossovers. This is only temporary while a charge coupled set of crossovers are being completed. I am very pleased with the sound quality.
    Disclaimer: Any similarity to Westlake tower speakers is purely intentional.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, stunning!
    Got more pics?
    JBL Studio 580 & 590, L26, L40, 4301b

Beautiful!!!!!!

Snap! Nicely done, congratulations. A build thread with pictures would be great.

Lots of Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Snap! Nicely done, congratulations. A build thread with pictures would be great.
    I do have more than 100 photos that I took during the construction of these speakers and also more the making of the Smith horns - that is a project in itself. Anything in particular that anyone would like to see?

I constructed the speaker cabinets of 3/4" baltic birch plywood and walnut veneer. No MDF used-I hate working with that stuff. Once you have some MDF dust powder in your shop you will never get rid of it! Not good to breathe either.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by brucewood View Post
    I have recently completed the build of some new speakers based on the 4355 system but I have made some significant changes as can be seen. Due to space limitations I decided to configure the system as a "Tower".

Before starting this project I have read hundreds if not thousands of pages of threads from the Lansing Heritage site and wish to thank the many, many individuals who have contributed their expertise and knowledge. Without that help I would never have been able to tackle this project.
    I have used the same speakers as in the original 4355 (2x 2235H, 2202H, 2441, and 2405H). I used a 2397 replica horn which is made from solid black walnut. I had made a previous set of these horns and really like the sound quality. The 2405 front end has been replaced with a Kenrick polished bronze unit.
    I am currently using a Accuphase F-15 Electronic crossover with a 290Hz and 2 way card installed and a JBL N1200 and N8000 units for the upper passive crossovers. This is only temporary while a charge coupled set of crossovers are being completed. I am very pleased with the sound quality.
    Disclaimer: Any similarity to Westlake tower speakers is purely intentional.
    Great job!
    But i think it is more like a Westlake
    46 lover

I do have more than 100 photos that I took during the construction of these speakers and also more the making of the Smith horns - that is a project in itself. Anything in particular that anyone would like to see?....
    If you have the time, a construction thread with commentary and photos would be great for posterity, including the eventual building of the cc crossovers. Folks around here love that sort of thing, and will probably ask a lot of questions about the build. For people like me, without creativity skills, it's great to see what people accomplish when they have them.

Westlake Disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Great job!
    But i think it is more like a Westlake
    Did you notice my disclaimer in the original post? I was definitely influenced by the Westlake design.

Did you notice my disclaimer in the original post? I was definitely influenced by the Westlake design.
    Cultural divide, I think. Possibly Martin did not pick up on your irony.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

First steps were design

Since I didn't have any plans to go by, I had to design the cabinet on paper first. I had a few considerations: 1. the interior width of the cabinet was dictated by the width of the Smith horn which is just over 26". 2. The cabinet had to have casters on the bottom for easy movement over hard floors as well as carpets. 3. The cabinet's height had to be less than 80" so that they would fit upright through normal doorways. 4. I need to make the 2235 and 2202 speaker enclosures the same volumes as the original 4355.

I drew some full size plans for the front of the cabinet and started from there. I was able to get very close to the requirements. The final dimensions: Height including base and top 73 1/2", Width 27 3/4", Depth 24". The top has an additional overhang of 2 3/4" and the Smith horn protrudes 8" from the baffle. I had decided to make rectangular port tubes and had to calculate their length as appropriate for the 2235 speakers mounted in individual chambers.

I am fortunate in having a 1200 sq ft woodworking shop for such a large project. When I started the building I had decided to build both cabinets at the same time step by step so that my table saw settings didn't have to be changed. I also used a number of spacers that were used for both cabinets so that everything would be identical.

The attached photos are of the rear of the cabinet and as you can see they are fully finished as well. The center portion of the back is removable to gain access to the 2241 driver, 2328 horn adapter and horn. There is also a recessed panel for the banana jack connectors. The top of the cabinet had not yet been attached.

Sorry for my don't noticing your disclaimer,anyway,it is a perfect DIY
    46 lover

Start of Assembly

Here are a couple of photos of the beginning of the assembly. The panels for the bottom, 3 internal cross pieces and the top (not yet attached) are connected to the side panels with pocket screws and glue. In one photo you can also see the smaller chamber that will enclose the 2202 speaker.

Wow, these are some serious speakers for shure!!
    You have some great woodworking skills and I like your design a lot.

How far is the 2202 and the 2405 apart from the 2397 horn?
    How did you come up with this baffle-layout?

WOW

Beautiful! I particularly like the fact that they require a lot less real estate than the original design. Great job.

Thread Information