Thread: JBL 1501Al-1 vs W1500H for Sub?

JBL 1501Al-1 vs W1500H for Sub?

I am thinking about to build two subwoofers with single 15" woofer to use with my S9900 project
    I have this two kind of woofers 1501Al-1 and W1500H
    I would like to hear from forum members which one you would choose?

both woofers have high X-max and low fs

Ari

I have limited experience with them, but I have both W1500H subs (Array 1500 and HB5000) and a pair of GT’s old subs, which have 1500AL woofers. The 1500AL subs have the best definition I have ever heard in a sub, though I do have to add a little EQ on the bottom end. The W1500H subs have much more output in the first octave, but I don’t love them like I do the 1500AL. Also, I’m assuming there is some EQ built into the Array 1500 and HB5000’s amplifiers, so this is not an apples to apples comparison. If you already have the drivers, you owe it to yourself to build some boxes for the 1501-AL’s and take a listen
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Your sub is for HiFi or HT?W1500H is more suitable for HT,1501AL is better with your S9900.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I have limited experience with them, but I have both W1500H subs (Array 1500 and HB5000) and a pair of GT’s old subs, which have 1500AL woofers. The 1500AL subs have the best definition I have ever heard in a sub, though I do have to add a little EQ on the bottom end. The W1500H subs have much more output in the first octave, but I don’t love them like I do the 1500AL. Also, I’m assuming there is some EQ built into the Array 1500 and HB5000’s amplifiers, so this is not an apples to apples comparison. If you already have the drivers, you owe it to yourself to build some boxes for the 1501-AL’s and take a listen

Ok, that´s interesting
    you say at the Greg Timbers subs with 1500Al have the best definition that you have ever heard, can you tell me this in little more details?

you say at W1500H have much more in the first octave, have you make some measurements?

I think at 1501Al-1 is quite different from the older 1500Al
    1501Al-1 have fs at 18Hz and I think if I write the info in the tech note right for 1501Al-1, the X-max is around 17.6mm one way?

Ari

I would agree with HCSGuy I have the K2 S9900 with a pair of Array 1500s. I find the Array 1500s slower that the 1500AL woofers, I put that somewhat down to the amplifiers KRELL EVO 600 versus what is in the Arrays. Also, as HCSGuys mentions the 1500AL and the W1500H do sound different.

If I was in your situation I would go with the 1501Al-1 and if possible use the same type of amplifier (yup easier said than done). I think you would get a better match sonically than with the W1500H.

On another note I’m currently using the Array 1500s with my 4345 project (2245/2123/2446H Truextent/2397/2405) and I’m finding the sound much more pleasing on the bottom end with the 2245/W1500H combination (same amplifiers).

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    I would agree with HCSGuy I have the K2 S9900 with a pair of Array 1500s. I find the Array 1500s slower that the 1500AL woofers, I put that somewhat down to the amplifiers KRELL EVO 600 versus what is in the Arrays. Also, as HCSGuys mentions the 1500AL and the W1500H do sound different.

If I was in your situation I would go with the 1501Al-1 and if possible use the same type of amplifier (yup easier said than done). I think you would get a better match sonically than with the W1500H.

On another note I’m currently using the Array 1500s with my 4345 project (2245/2123/2446H Truextent/2397/2405) and I’m finding the sound much more pleasing on the bottom end with the 2245/W1500H combination (same amplifiers).

I have Accuphase C-250/P-350 compo to drive my S9900 project
    I could use my Crown Studio Reference I or II to drive my subwoofers

Ari

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I have Accuphase C-250/P-350 compo to drive my S9900 project
    I could use my Crown Studio Reference I or II to drive my subwoofers
    The more I ponder it I think it comes down to HCSGuys astute comment:

“The 1500AL subs have the best definition I have ever heard in a sub, though I do have to add a little EQ on the bottom end”

The 1500AL series is better able to articulate the bottom end than any other woofer I have listened to. With that said I would definitely go with the 1501Al-1 I don’t see any down side.

I’ve never heard any Accuphase gear but at the same time all I’ve ever heard is good things. I think if you use the 1500AL series woofers the amplifiers won’t matter.

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    The more I ponder it I think it comes down to HCSGuys astute comment:

“The 1500AL subs have the best definition I have ever heard in a sub, though I do have to add a little EQ on the bottom end”

The 1500AL series is better able to articulate the bottom end than any other woofer I have listened to. With that said I would definitely go with the 1501Al-1 I don’t see any down side.

I’ve never heard any Accuphase gear but at the same time all I’ve ever heard is good things. I think if you use the 1500AL series woofers the amplifiers won’t matter.

Crown Studio Reference I and II are some of the best amplifiers that have ever bin made for low frequency with extremely high damping factor

Ari

Let me qualify my first statement. My listening to these subwoofers has so far been only with music, and only up to reasonable levels. The closest thing to a “Movie” soundtrack I have listened to has been the Daft Punk Tron:Legacy soundtrack, which has some very low synthesized bass. I was using a Bryson crossover and Parasound Halo A21 amplifier to power the 1500AL subs, and did lots of playing with placement to get the subs to blend with my monitors. Since these were temporary setups, I did not take measurements. In the end, I would enthusiastically use the 1500AL’s for music, but the W1500H’s sounded like many other subwoofers I have used - I couldn’t get them to mate with the monitors as well, and they always sounded like a separate subwoofer from the monitors, while the 1500AL’s could blend nicely. I am hoping to start on my theater this winter, however, which will use (4) W1500H’s, for which purpose I’m sure they will be excellent.

Since you already have both woofers, build test boxes out of particle board and listen to them both - it’s the only way you will convince yourself. I don’t know what measurements or numbers I could possibly give you that would substitute for a good listen. Lastly, I do not think you specified your use for the subwoofers, but if it is for a home theater only use, I’d stick with the W1500H’s as they are less precious, and shake the room more easily
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Let me qualify my first statement. My listening to these subwoofers has so far been only with music, and only up to reasonable levels. The closest thing to a “Movie” soundtrack I have listened to has been the Daft Punk Tron:Legacy soundtrack, which has some very low synthesized bass. I was using a Bryson crossover and Parasound Halo A21 amplifier to power the 1500AL subs, and did lots of playing with placement to get the subs to blend with my monitors. Since these were temporary setups, I did not take measurements. In the end, I would enthusiastically use the 1500AL’s for music, but the W1500H’s sounded like many other subwoofers I have used - I couldn’t get them to mate with the monitors as well, and they always sounded like a separate subwoofer from the monitors, while the 1500AL’s could blend nicely. I am hoping to start on my theater this winter, however, which will use (4) W1500H’s, for which purpose I’m sure they will be excellent.

Since you already have both woofers, build test boxes out of particle board and listen to them both - it’s the only way you will convince yourself. I don’t know what measurements or numbers I could possibly give you that would substitute for a good listen. Lastly, I do not think you specified your use for the subwoofers, but if it is for a home theater only use, I’d stick with the W1500H’s as they are less precious, and shake the room more easily

Did you play with your W1500H and 1500Al in similar size enclosure and port tuning?

I have drawing of the Vertec VT-4881 enclosure box that were made for 2256G
    a very nice sub enclosure with volume around 250 liters

Ari

I think W1500H is more punchy and can go more deeper than 1501AL
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    I think W1500H is more punchy and can go more deeper than 1501AL

you might be right about that, I need to try both woofers to see how they work
    one thing is for sure 1501Al-1 will perform much better than W1500H in the 20-300Hz range but under 100Hz W1500H might be better

Ari

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    Did you play with your W1500H and 1500Al in similar size enclosure and port tuning?
    No - I used the provided enclosures, though in fairness I should unbox the 1500Array and the HB5000 subs again and do some more listening, as they are different designs (Array is ported, HB is sealed, though they both use the W1500H woofer). They are all large enclosures, but GT's boxes are definitely bigger - probably 3-3.5 cubic feet (there's a thread about them on the forum, somewhere); I think they're tuned to 30hz, but that number is just from memory. I hope this helps, but I'm sure it doesn't - you really need to build a few boxes and do some listening

No - I used the provided enclosures, though in fairness I should unbox the 1500Array and the HB5000 subs again and do some more listening, as they are different designs (Array is ported, HB is sealed, though they both use the W1500H woofer). They are all large enclosures, but GT's boxes are definitely bigger - probably 3-3.5 cubic feet (there's a thread about them on the forum, somewhere); I think they're tuned to 30hz, but that number is just from memory. I hope this helps, but I'm sure it doesn't - you really need to build a few boxes and do some listening

Yes, I need to do some test boxes
    I like to hear from you the difference between the 1500 Array and HB5000?

this is the enclosure I like to try both 1501Al-1 and W1500H in
    http://www.kainaudio.at/uploads/tx_k...tec_VT4881.pdf

Ari

I can also use my 18" Revel Rhythm 2 subwoofer drivers with the original amplifiers
    this is a monster sub but great sounding for music

Ari

Thread Information