Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for 3 way JBL studio monitors with 12” woofers please

Thank you for the many inputs.

I have had an interest in JBL speakers, especially the 43XX and 44XX models, for a long time but I did not have specif knowledge of the models so this thread was very informative.

The 4412 series looks the most interesting so I am going to focus my investigation on them. There seems to be several models so I will start a new thread for that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJewels View Post
    Thank you for the many inputs.

I have had an interest in JBL speakers, especially the 43XX and 44XX models, for a long time but I did not have specif knowledge of the models so this thread was very informative.

The 4412 series looks the most interesting so I am going to focus my investigation on them. There seems to be several models so I will start a new thread for that discussion.
    I enjoyed the sound of my 4406,4410's & 4412's , but did not retain them. The 4412 & 4412A have different HF's. Can only comment on the models that I owned. 4412 has 035Ti tweeter vs. 4412A has 052Ti. I believe the 052 may be harder to replace. The 035 was used in many models and are available. The 4412A had a grey utility cabinet.

Many examples were "spaghetti wood" veneer. It seems to chip around the edges easily. Those models and presumably others in the 44xx series had flimsy, cheap , thin plastic framed grilles. I was super careful and still managed to break pegs. The grille cloth is very sheer and seems to develop holes easily.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I disagree with the statement regarding the L112. While they can play well horizontally, they were not, IMHO, "designed for horizontal near-field use" like the 4412. I bought my first pair in 1982 and JBL never marketed them as horizontal near-field monitors although either placement was covered in the user manual. Besides, why are the foilcals vertical?
    You are, of course, correct. I've owned my pair since new, also, and have never played them horizontally, though they are often referred to as "bookshelf" speakers. I can't imagine any bookshelf mounting that would have them vertically oriented. I should have stopped the reply at the monitors which are always pictured horizontally, even though I play all of those vertically, too!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You are, of course, correct. I've owned my pair since new, also, and have never played them horizontally, though they are often referred to as "bookshelf" speakers. I can't imagine any bookshelf mounting that would have them vertically oriented. I should have stopped the reply at the monitors which are always pictured horizontally, even though I play all of those vertically, too!

Speaker Dave wrote:

"The LSR tweeter could be seen as a dusted 035 and better than any naked titanium, for my money."

Interesting. Very interesting.

This begs the question, could a naked titanium tweeter be dusted on a DIY basis? What is known about the factory process, material, etc?

Thanks, D_E
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Noting that the OP specified "studio monitors" , tho many he listed probably don't fit that
    description.

Also the 4410 has been mentioned a couple of times. I HAD a pair and enjoyed them, BUT
    they were an analytical monitor and NOT very musical.
    The 4412 did not suffer that fate though
    I am not questioning your evaluation of the 4410s' sound.

But technically speaking, with the 4410 and the 4412 having the same cabinet, the same crossover, same midrange, and same tweeter, what would make it too analytical and not very musical compared to the 4412?

What comes to mind is the T-S values of the 127 vs the 128 type woofers, which I expect to be very close, room interaction (?) and amplifier-speaker system interaction (?).

Puzzling.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

I have had multiple pairs of 4410 and one pair of 4412, and I had the chance to compare 4410 and 4412 side by side. I must say I was hard pressed to tell them apart in these conditions (home use at around 2m and 80dB SPL).
    IMO the 4410 is at an advantage for close range listening thanks to its vertical drivers array (tighter/smaller apparent source), whereas the 4412 takes the edge at higher SPL and mid/far field listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    I am not questioning your evaluation of the 4410s' sound.

But technically speaking, with the 4410 and the 4412 having the same cabinet, the same crossover, same midrange, and same tweeter, what would make it too analytical and not very musical compared to the 4412?

What comes to mind is the T-S values of the 127 vs the 128 type woofers, which I expect to be very close, room interaction (?) and amplifier-speaker system interaction (?).

Puzzling.
    4412's cab is somewhat larger. When I had them, i described the 4410 as "tight & analytical"
    the 4412 was labeled (by me) as somewhat tubby bass and I preferred the L166 when doing
    that formats comparison.

The 4410 mostly shares the same drivers with the L80T , which I did NOT care for. Difference ???

box & network.

4412's cab is somewhat larger.
    The literature from JBL disagrees with you!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

4412's cab is somewhat larger. When I had them, i described the 4410 as "tight & analytical"
    the 4412 was labeled (by me) as somewhat tubby bass and I preferred the L166 when doing
    that formats comparison.

The 4410 mostly shares the same drivers with the L80T , which I did NOT care for. Difference ???

box & network.
    That's why a lot of people like 4412,not 4312 series.
    BTW,i like JBL black cone woofer than white cone too.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    That's why a lot of people like 4412,not 4312 series.
    BTW,i like JBL black cone woofer than white cone too.
    Are you basing this on aesthetics? I don't find the white 128H any different in sound output from the black 128H-1.

Perhaps Seawolf's preference for the 4410 over the 4412 would indicate that the box size is not ideal for the 128H-1 and needs to be larger?

I'm not denying the qualities of the 10-inch-driver based 3-ways. I love my L96 Deltas, but that's a different woofer from the 4410. I also own two pairs of L80Ts converted with T3 crossovers which do share driver complements with the 4410 . . . but I've never really been impressed by their sound.

Not a monitor (I don't think) and not a three way but the JBL S/2600 (with 12 inch woofer) is one I really like. Three way for me with a pair of Tannoy Supertweeters.......
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I had a pair of L150s that I liked. I also had a pair of L80T3s that I really liked a lot. I would imagine the L100T3 (12" LF driver would be great sounding as well).

Perhaps Seawolf's preference for the 4410 over the 4412 would indicate that the box size is not ideal for the 128H-1 and needs to be larger?
    back to the tech sheets .... the 4412 is 9kg heavier than the 4410. My WAG is that the 10 is
    well suited for that size box, but the 12 is constrained in it

constrained ?? maybe that's what I hear as "tubby" , there was someone else's post that I read
    on LHF that had the same description of it.

I also own two pairs of L80Ts converted with T3 crossovers which do share driver complements with the 4410 . . . but I've never really been impressed by their sound.
    Have stated that in the past (re:L80T), and note the L80T has NO control pots ...

Have stated that in the past (re:L80T), and note the L80T has NO control pots ...
    I doubt that would help them. They're just lifeless, before and after the T3 modification. The L96 sounds alive on any type of music, without fiddling with the L-pads, but the L80T is just . . . there. I know the Titanium tweet should provide a bit more sizzle but maybe my ears have just become attuned to the 044 after nearly 40-years of listening to them.

Thread Information