Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L65 vs 4430

Quote Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
    If the L65's didn't stir your soul while being feed 200w/ch maybe it is time to move on. Are you sure they are healthy? The other factor is height. You need to get that midrange and 077 up off the floor.
    As you know, the L-65 wasn't really designed to handle 200wpc but like virtually all JBLs they could play plenty loud being fed as little as 25-35 watts. For a smaller room they were fine, and in retrospect would have to say how loud does one need to go?

As for "whizz-boom" characteristics, yeah they could get too tizzy and forward with not careful tweaking of the L-Pads. I usually dialed mine no more than flat on both L-Pads, and sometimes even just a smidgen less on both.

Same with my 4430 Speakers, I run both L-Pads totally flat, and this seems to give overall best balance in my system. Same with my Mac Pre, rarely touch the tone controls. Maybe only at lower volumes might I dial up a little Loudness Compensation, or the Bass Dial just a tad.

Once I start ratcheting up the volume on the Bryston Monos, the bass and overall sound that the 4430 can provide is decent, and clean IMO. No, they don't go as low as some state of the art uber expensive monster speakers. Or as high as those which possessed the 077/2405.

One of the biggest downsides with such speakers as these two, and many others in the JBL family, were the Foam Surrounds. That sooner or later you will be replacing them, that's commonly a given and to be expected I guess.

Another minor downside with both L-65 and 4430 is their height. I always felt both benefitted by some degree of elevation.

The L-65 of course easier to deal with in this regard, whereas the 4430 is more difficult to handle-move, and do minor tweaking for positioning, becoming more of a 2-man job.

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    Another minor downside with both L-65 and 4430 is their height. I always felt both benefitted by some degree of elevation.

The L-65 of course easier to deal with in this regard, whereas the 4430 is more difficult to handle-move, and do minor tweaking for positioning, becoming more of a 2-man job.
    The L65's have that stupid little 3 sided riser platform. At about 3 inches, it didn't help much but did get in the way if you wanted to put the speakers on stands.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Finally I sold the L65's and bought the 4430's!
    I'm more than happy with the change and can tell you that is a giant step in soundstage, dynamic and imaging!

Thanks for all your inputs!!

Happy listening! (:

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The newer horns on the 4430 are much better, so much they tried to eliminate the need for a tweeter. Much less beaming ect with the Buttcheeks. Ive had them both.
    4430 will handle much more power. 4435 vote as well
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The newer horns on the 4430 are much better, so much they tried to eliminate the need for a tweeter. Much less beaming ect with the Buttcheeks. Ive had them both.
    4430 will handle much more power. 4435 vote as well
    Do you think that if 4430 adds a 077 will perform more better?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Do you think that if 4430 adds a 077 will perform more better?
    Not sure if you are serious or if you are just being rhetorical. I think the designer would agree adding a tweeter misses the point of the whole effort, the benefits of which have been mentioned often. What has been said to solve the issue of HF response some listeners have perceived is the substitution of a TAD one inch driver, with high pass adjustments.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Not sure if you are serious or if you are just being rhetorical. I think the designer would agree adding a tweeter misses the point of the whole effort, the benefits of which have been mentioned often. What has been said to solve the issue of HF response some listeners have perceived is the substitution of a TAD one inch driver, with high pass adjustments.
    But to make system perfect,many people have added 077 on their system and are satisfied,such as 4435,S2600,S3100,S9500
    I heard someone here said that beryllium diaphragm is more better?
    46 lover

Hi Martin,

I agree with Speakerdave.

Lots of people play around with Jbl original monitors and no one cares because it’s a diy project in the context of diy audio.

But asserting to make the system perfect and labelling various systems as improved is entirely subjective (not objective) and opinion from diy loudspeaker amateurs. That when read on a public forum or googled becomes a mis information and at worst a Frankenstein’s Jbl legacy which something to be to be avoided.

The more appropriate approach is to use the diy forum and refer to it as a diy project which it is.

Btw l used the 2344A horn with Jbl 2425 compression driver and Jbl network for years and it works exactly as the engineer intended. If anyone’s not satisfied it might be easier to buy a more contemporary Jbl loudspeaker like the 4367.

PS. I would suggest buying fresh diaphragms and ear waxing as a side option.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Why adding a tweeter will miss the point of the whole effort?and what benefits?

4430's high end is only 16K,why the designer sacrifice the high end purposely for what?

Could you explain it?

Thank you
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Martin,

I agree with Speakerdave.

Lots of people play around with Jbl original monitors and no one cares because it’s a diy project in the context of diy audio.

But asserting to make the system perfect and labelling various systems as improved is entirely subjective (not objective) and opinion from diy loudspeaker amateurs. That when read on a public forum or googled becomes a mis information and at worst a Frankenstein’s Jbl legacy which something to be to be avoided.

The more appropriate approach is to use the diy forum and refer to it as a diy project which it is.

Btw l used the 2344A horn with Jbl 2425 compression driver and Jbl network for years and it works exactly as the engineer intended. If anyone’s not satisfied it might be easier to buy a more contemporary Jbl loudspeaker like the 4367.

PS. I would suggest buying fresh diaphragms and ear waxing as a side option.
    Yes,a speaker product is just like a desiger's works,but if it is possible to be improved in the premise of not destroying the product integrity?
    BTW, ear waxing is a new HiFi method that you have developed?
    46 lover

Thread Information