Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The songs Lennon and McCartney gave away

The songs Lennon and McCartney gave away

The instrumental "Cat call" is a McCartney composition. It was recorded by Chris Barber & his Band in 1969 for the superb LP "Battersea Rain Dance". Produced by Giorgio Gomelsky (Yardbirds).
    At the end of the song Paul is yelling:"Please, play it slower!"
    So, lets talk about the best songs The Beatles gave away!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Doris Troy, Same, 1970, Apple England, SAPCOR 13

Some songs George Harrison gave away. "Ain't that cute" A1. "Give me back my dynamite" A3. This album is a forgotten juwel, because of Doris' extraordinary voice and this green fresh apple all star band.

-= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Come and get it

Exclusively offered to The Iveys=Badfinger. Paul McCartney played all instruments for the demo of "Come and get it". It took less than one hour.....
    Issued 1996 on Anthology 3. What a hit for Badfinger in 1969! The song was the main theme for the movie "The Magic Christian".

Roger Daltrey, Giddy, 1977

"Giddy": a clever song by Paul McCartney from LP " One of the boys". Partly funky as "Coming up", partly in ballad style.
    Daltrey was only one of the boys: he was part of an all star band (Marvin/Lee/Clapton/Ronson/McCulloch)!

Johnny Winter, Rock'n'roll people, 1976, from LP "Captured Live", Bue Sky Holland

John Lennon's 1970 "Rock'n'roll people" was issued posthumously ten years later on "Menlove Ave". This is a furious live version.

That Johnny Winter album is fantastic overall. Loved Richard Hughes' drumming!

On the wings of a nightingale, Everly Brothers, EB 84, 1984, Mercury Germany, 224 311

Paul Mc Cartney gave this beautiful song to the Everly Brothers in 1984. Paul never produced a studio or live version of this hit. Produced by Dave Edmunds.

I'll keep you satisfied by Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, 1963

Northern songs from the Mersey produced by George Martin. Happy sound managed by Brian Epstein. Brian Epstein donated "I'll keep you satisfied" to Billy J Kramer as unsuitable or unwanted for the Beatles. Paul and John thought it was a bit of a failure, actually, because the Billy J Kramer version only got to number 4 in the charts! This one would have been a grenade hit for The Beatles...

I call your name, recorded by Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, 1963

"I call your name" is a superb Lennon/McCartney Northern song. A Mersey Beat example par excellence. It seems as though Brian Epstein was donating all their unsuitable or unwanted compositions to the stablemates Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, who repaid the compliment by making them into huge hits. The other and more likely explanation is that John and Paul were actually tailoring songs to their collegues. Perhaps they had a problem with the guitar solo, which in this version was played by Mike Maxfield. Produced by George Martin, the 5th Beatle...

From a window, recorded by Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas 1964

A fine Merseybeat song from the makers of the Northern Songs and NEMS enterprises. Was this one given away by Brian Epstein because of the high vocal pitch? Unsuitable for the Beatles? Why did they give away such a wonderful song? Was it too "happy-go-lucky" for their rough leather-jacket-rocknroll image they had developped in the infamous Star Club in Hamburg? During the recording Paul McCartney was present in the studio. Produced by George Martin and Paul McCartney. Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas were very popular in those crazy years 1963/64! The Beatles and George Martin took benefit from their knowledge and routine.

I'll be on my way, recorded by The Saltbee, 1994

This Lennon/McCartney song was also given away to Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas. It was tailored to their colleagues who were also managed by NEMS' Brian Epstein. Also this one was produced by George Martin. BBC recorded a Beatles version of "I'll be on my way" appearing on "Beatles Live at the BBC" Vol.1.
    Listen also to the version on CD "That means a lot" reorded by "The Saltbee". They are the fantastic Swiss "Songs the Beatles gave away"-tribute band. "Saltbee" is an anagram that means a lot ...

Bad to me, recorded by Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, 1963

One of about 30 songs, Lennon/McCartney gave away. Many of them were tailored for Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas as this one: "Bad to me" is a Lennon composition. There only exists a demo of John playing acoustic guitar. -> YouTube. This Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas recording entered the very top of the charts in September 1963.

Tip of my tongue, recorded by Saltbee, 1994

This McCartney composition was recorded in 1994 by the Swiss "Songs the Beatles gave away"-tribute band "Saltbee". Saltbee is an anagram. The original studio version of this song was withdrawn in an early stadium. They didn't really fancy doing that anymore. Sadly the Beatles recordings are lost...(don't look up on YouTube, that one is not the Beatles!)

That means a lot, recorded by The Saltbee, 1994

The Beatles made some efforts with this McCartney composition. They changed the tempo and arrangement several times, but in the end the song didn't make it onto "Help!". So they gave it away. PJ Proby made the best of it with the help of George Martin. Take 1 appears 1996 on "Anthology 2". McCartney said in an Interview with Mark Lewinson in 1988: "There were a few songs that we were just not as keen on, or we didn't think they were quite finished. This was one of them." Lennon named it "a botch, the structure sounds wrong, and at worst, seems completely arbitrary, (...) it was an attempt to rewrite "Ticket to ride"". Anybody understands these arguments? Lennon/McCartney/Martin were the Professors of popular music in 1965. This version is a stunning one by Swiss "The Saltbee" (anagram for...)

Note that steam loco's driver cabin on the sleeve. Is there any identifyable plate that tells the class? Ok, the tender is already missing, so supposedly the boiler is cold...

Best regards!

Thread Information